Railroad Forums 

• Depth Perception

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#914117  by SeaSalt

Hello (again)!

Is there a test for depth-perception given to candidates for train service positions? My color vision is fine and I have 20/20 vision with glasses, but my depth perception is off. Been working in maritime for years without any safety issues.

Also, is there any such test for mechanic/electrician jobs?

Thanks in advance!
 #914170  by RDGTRANSMUSEUM

i would think they still test for depth perception. your gonna need it out there if in train service.
 #914329  by jz441

I really don't remember... Mechanics and electricians don't fall under same requirements as train service folks. We had a guy get transferred to mechanical dept after they found out that he is somewhat color blind.
 #914743  by MikeEspee

There is a depth perception as well as peripheral vision test for most every railroad.
 #914746  by RDGTRANSMUSEUM

you got me to thinking.......we also took an MMPi test for Conrail
 #914813  by SeaSalt

Thanks for the replies.

Does this apply to all the RR's or do short-lines offer an "easier" route, for example?

I know that in maritime I only ever had my depth perception tested once and if not for that, I wouldn't have ever known. I still got the job, but I know my DP is poor (on the tests).

No probs with anything else, including color vision, peripheal vision, etc.

Thanks again, sounds like I could always swing a job as a mechanic or electrician.

Also, do all the RR's hire "oilers/fireman" as a kinda shop helper? Sounds like a decent gig with good pay. I have been an oiler and a fireman on-board ships, but that job is about performing routine maintanence on the boilers, diesels, generators, pumps, etc and checking the gauges, temps, etc. while underway.
 #914996  by slchub

For all of my vision tests as a conductor and engineer (UP and Amtrak) I have only had a color blind test and distance (typical eye chart) test. No depth perception test was given. This is in accordance to 49 CFR 240.121. While the FRA does not require depth perception testing, it would behoove any railroader to have excellent depth perception given many factors working in our environment.

One example is working a rail in a yard where you are traveling forward and the track on the left of you is traveling in the oppose direction and the track to the right of you is traveling at a speed just faster than your speed and you are going to couple into a car in 50'. Another example is coming to a stop at a red signal in a blinding snow storm (had this happen early Friday morning at east Elko yard where the conductor had to line the switch ahead of us just beyond the signal).

I would give great consideration in what you can and cannot perceive if you do have a depth perception issue. You don't want to get you or someone else in trouble as a result of it.

Good luck.

Here is a link to the FRA requirements for visual (medical as well) testing. Your railroad may have stricter standards.

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2009-t ... num240.121
 #915881  by drewg350

I just went thru physicals for both Norfolk Southern and CSX in the last 6 weeks and BOTH test for depth perception. They make you look into this white machine, there's a series of white box's with 3-O's and 1-C (it's not actually a "C", more like a 3/4 "O") in each corner of the box. You have to tell them which one is the "C" (really a 3/4 "O"). Each "box" and letters get significantly smaller. Obviously the smaller the box and letters, the harder it is to actually see if that tiny little part of the "O" is there, or if it's missing and actually a "C" (3/4 "O"). They do each eye individually NOT TOGETHER. You must get both eye's individually correct to pass the test. I asked if this was the eye exam and was told both times this is the "depth perception" test. If you have poor depth perception you will not be able to correctly identify or see the difference between the one different "figure". You must get down to at least the number 5 box out of the 10 boxes to pass. It's not real easy. I got to 7 at the CSX exam and actually got all 10 right at the NS exam. The doctor told me 6 is average, 9-10 is very, very, rare. It's a tough test. If you have any eye issue's I'm pretty certain this test will catch them. I applied and was hired as a conductor for both NS and CSX, so I'm not sure about other RR positions, such as trackworker for example.
 #949518  by SeaSalt

Thanks for the useful replies...sounds as if train service crew might not (or might be...) for me, depending on the railroad. Any other info about mechanics, shop helpers, etc having this issue?

BTW I contacted MODOC RR Academy a while back and they stated the RR's don't test for depth perception, seems kinda obvious they either don't know the standards which the RR's hire by (seems odd for such a school) or they could care less about employment opps for grads so long as you've paid your course...
 #949524  by SeaSalt

drewg350 wrote:I just went thru physicals for both Norfolk Southern and CSX in the last 6 weeks and BOTH test for depth perception. They make you look into this white machine, there's a series of white box's with 3-O's and 1-C (it's not actually a "C", more like a 3/4 "O") in each corner of the box. You have to tell them which one is the "C" (really a 3/4 "O"). Each "box" and letters get significantly smaller. Obviously the smaller the box and letters, the harder it is to actually see if that tiny little part of the "O" is there, or if it's missing and actually a "C" (3/4 "O"). They do each eye individually NOT TOGETHER. You must get both eye's individually correct to pass the test. I asked if this was the eye exam and was told both times this is the "depth perception" test. If you have poor depth perception you will not be able to correctly identify or see the difference between the one different "figure". You must get down to at least the number 5 box out of the 10 boxes to pass. It's not real easy. I got to 7 at the CSX exam and actually got all 10 right at the NS exam. The doctor told me 6 is average, 9-10 is very, very, rare. It's a tough test. If you have any eye issue's I'm pretty certain this test will catch them. I applied and was hired as a conductor for both NS and CSX, so I'm not sure about other RR positions, such as trackworker for example.
I had the same exact test for a maritime shipping company once (long time ago now) and that was how I learned and how I "know" my depth perception sucks, I couldn't have passed, but I was still hired (into an entry-level deck job).
 #990830  by SeaSalt

Just bumping this thread up. Hope somebody else has some info to share...
 #990972  by kevin.brackney

I imagine the greatest danger having poor, or questionable depth perception, would be to yourself while climbing on and off equipment; missing a ladder rung or a grab iron could be fatal. But if you're talking about not being able to distinguish whether it's five or six miles....Take the test and see.
 #991239  by jr145

Depth perception is huge for T&E, especially when building a train. You need to be able to count down the distance to your engineer.

5 cars to go...... 4 cars...... 3 cars..... etc..

Its hard enough to learn with perfect depth perception.
 #991348  by COEN77

jr145 wrote:Depth perception is huge for T&E, especially when building a train. You need to be able to count down the distance to your engineer.

You're right about that some people were counting cars in VW "Bug" lenghts. lol. 5 cars....4....3...BAM! lol
 #992800  by Jtgshu

COEN77 wrote:
jr145 wrote:Depth perception is huge for T&E, especially when building a train. You need to be able to count down the distance to your engineer.

You're right about that some people were counting cars in VW "Bug" lenghts. lol. 5 cars....4....3...BAM! lol
Or the dreaded "4 cars, 3 cars.....half a car....far enough!!!!" and BAM and the cab doors fly open on the Geep....