Railroad Forums 

• Denver Area Light and Heavy Rail (RTD) systems

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

#1197993  by Fan Railer

kaitoku wrote:You think FasTracks would have used a better camera for an official clip. By the way, does anyone know which maker is the traction motors on these units (or for that matter, on the Silverliner V's??)
It's stated on Hyundai Rotem's website that the motors and other propulsion equipment are their own.
 #1198888  by kaitoku

Fan Railer wrote:
25Hz wrote:Ugh. I feel bad for those folks.
I don't. They've got nothing now, so at least they're getting something.
That's pretty much the mantra for any passenger rail transit or intercity service in N. America- "something is better than nothing" (since nothing was the reality in many places from the 70'S through the 80's).
 #1198899  by Fan Railer

kaitoku wrote:
Fan Railer wrote:
I don't. They've got nothing now, so at least they're getting something.
That's pretty much the mantra for any passenger rail transit or intercity service in N. America- "something is better than nothing" (since nothing was the reality in many places from the 70'S through the 80's).
You can thank Eisenhower and the highway boom of the late 50s and early 60s for that.
 #1203412  by NH2060

I completely agree. It seems just about every new piece of motive power and rolling stock is very asthetically pleasing to the human eye.
Except that one.
Or as I say:
"She ain't got no alibi SHE UGLEH, SHE UGLEH!" :-P
And boy ARE they ever. An M-7/M-8 lookalike carbody would have looked far more pleasing to the human eye.
 #1203531  by BuddCar711

NH2060 wrote:I completely agree. It seems just about every new piece of motive power and rolling stock is very asthetically pleasing to the human eye.
Except that one.
Or as I say:
"She ain't got no alibi SHE UGLEH, SHE UGLEH!" :-P
And boy ARE they ever. An M-7/M-8 lookalike carbody would have looked far more pleasing to the human eye.
They say beauty is in the eye on the beholder. That said, I find them beuatiful. IMO, if it wasn't for the stacked headlights on the M-8s, I would find them beuatiful as well (stacked headlights only work with Pontiac GTOs).
 #1238768  by lpetrich

North Metro Rail Line Home most recently:
RTD, Regional Rail Partners sign contract to design, build first phase of North Metro Rail Line

On December 13, 2013 RTD and Regional Rail Partners (RRP) signed a contract to initiate the first phase on construction of the North Metro Rail Line, which will open in 2018.
RRP will build the line from Union Station to 124th St., with an option to build it to 162nd St. if RTD can get the money for doing so.

For the Gold Line, What's New? states that some of the work will be moving the BNSF rail line slightly southward to make room for that line's tracks. When the rail construction is finished, there will be three tracks there: two for the Gold Line and one for BNSF. Hmmm... much like an urban-rail line.
 #1258921  by lpetrich

RTD FasTracks breaks ground on North Metro Rail Line - yesterday, as I write this.

Parts of all four branches of Denver's commuter-rail system are now under construction: Gold, Northwest, North Metro, and East. This construction is for all of the Gold and East Lines, most of the North Metro Line, and only a little bit of the Northwest Line.