Railroad Forums 

• Delays on the NEC 3/17/04

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#3003  by ericware

Mar 17, 2004  10:06:03 PM
60 min delay-between NPS and NYPS- AMTRAK bridge problems.

From NJ Transit.com

What is going on, anyone know?

#3010  by Irish Chieftain

If it's between New York and Newark, then it means problems with the Portal bridge. That's the consequences of underfunding Amtrak, never mind the problems related to weather.

#3018  by Jtgshu

Block Op,

what did you do?????

:D

Boy, am I glad im not working tonight!!!

Hey Block, got a new job, new trains......so you can screw with 3271 now......my former conductor would appreciate that......I told him he would miss me!!!!

hahahahha

#3085  by JLo

Nice job Amtrak. My wife was scheduled to arrive at 9:48 p.m. She got in after 11.

#3148  by Irish Chieftain

You should shoot a e-mail to David Gunn to complain, in that case. $900 million will certainly work wonders for Amtrak's NEC for FY2004...

#3259  by dave76

I was stuck on that train last night, we were comin back from the parade.
We sat in the cab car, it really suxed sitten there that long. Are train was due at Walnut St station at 9:14, I think we got there at 10:40, figures my luck. We missed the previous train by 6 min. because nature called and I had to go real bad, I commenced a lot of cold ones yesterday. By the way I was told by the conductor that Portal bridge opened for a barge and got stuck in the open position. Is this usually a problem?

#3290  by Sirsonic

Portal opened for a tug and barge to pass through, and after they cleared the bridge did close, however, they were unable to lock the bridge. Even with the Amtrak signal and B&B personel who attend all openings of the bridge working hastily, it still took a little over an hour to get the problem solved and trains moving again.

#3354  by Block_Operator

Hey JT,
I was there at Dock right after Portal was closed and trains started moving. Needless to say, I had 12 trains in Newark and off went the parade to New York after I got the o.k. BTW, after April 1st, Amtrak will abolish my job and I will no longer be a train dispatcher. I hope to bump at R which is only 15 minutes from me. If not, I will have no choice but to go back to Dock. Either way, I will no longer wreck your commute over Portal. Dock bridge is another story however.....

#3399  by Jtgshu

Oh no, I hope you don't go to R, you could make my life miserable over at SSYD too!!!!!!! :D

....my current job starts there, well, not really I guess, I deadhead over (on the subway - oh boy - I don't know a THING about the damn NYC subways!!) there from NYP then take my train west, but Im sure you have friends in Q that will make me do some kind of wacko reverse move and give me a heartattack or something!!! If you see a train reversing at like 1/4 of a mph, thats me.....

"30 ties to a stop signal" ahahahhah