Railroad Forums 

• Delaware Third Track Project Starts

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1342228  by ApproachMedium

Has this project even progressed? I have not had any reason to travel down that way in quite a few months and it seems like nothings been accomplished in the last year.
 #1342288  by Arlington

If you ask Delaware, this is a $51m project that finishes in January 2018, and if you ask Amtrak it is a $72m project that finishes in February 2017.
Delaware describes it as:
• Add a third main track on the Northeast Rail Corridor between Wilmington
Newport;
• Reconstruct turnouts and track alignments;
• Rehabilitate the Mill Creek Bridge
• Rehabilitate the Shipley Street Bridge;
• Upgrade signals and communications
Amtrak describes it as:
• 1.5 miles of new, main line third track between Ragan and Yard interlockings,
• The project also includes rebuilding of Shipley Street Bridge and reconfiguration of Brandy, Ragan, and Yard interlockings.
According toDelDOT/DART's last status update (from back on Dec 1, 2014),
The Civil and Structural phase is now at 55% completion. The following are key dates:
Amtrak Construction Commences January 2013
Civil and Structural Commences July 2013
Civil and Structural Completed December 2015
Project Completed January 2018
Meanwhile, Amtrak's Delaware Third Trackproject page (which is more marketing brochure) says
The project also includes rebuilding of Shipley Street Bridge and reconfiguration of Brandy, Ragan, and Yard interlockings. The project will result in increased capacity for commuter rail expansion, and improved operations for all users. The project is funded by a combination of state, federal, and Amtrak funds. The project has a scheduled completion date of February 2017.
(bolding mine)
 #1425053  by twropr

Has there been any further activity on the Yard-Ragan third track? I believe all the turnouts have been installed but don't know what kind of progress is being made with the overhead bridges, track and overhead catenary.
Thanks!
Andy
Jacksonville, FL
 #1425078  by ApproachMedium

twropr wrote:Has there been any further activity on the Yard-Ragan third track? I believe all the turnouts have been installed but don't know what kind of progress is being made with the overhead bridges, track and overhead catenary.
Thanks!
Andy
Jacksonville, FL
None of the switches have been installed. The track was finally laid down and the bridge abutments are finally going in. The north one has been done, south one is almost done. The cat will not be constant tension the poles are not close enough.
 #1425100  by EuroStar

For educational purposes: how much more expensive is constant tension? I have always thought that constant tension was considered the gold standard for catenary, so I am surprised that we are still putting up wire that could sag in the heat. I am under the impression (possibly wrong) that in Europe practically all new heavy rail wire is constant tension regardless of track speed. Furthermore, in Europe I see concrete (steel reinforced) poles. I have never seen concrete poles in the US. Why? I imagine the concrete poles are cheaper than the steel ones, but I do not know.
 #1425122  by Matt Johnson

EuroStar wrote:I am under the impression (possibly wrong) that in Europe practically all new heavy rail wire is constant tension regardless of track speed.
Sure seemed that way when I was there. I don't think I saw any variable tension catenary, as I was keeping an eye out for the pulleys and weights when I was traveling by train over there.
 #1425125  by ApproachMedium

The cost to do that for such a short distance for one track is not worth it. The benefits do not outweigh the possible problems. Plus ive never had the wire down around that area. It usually happens along the Chesapeake bay where the winds get higher. The track there is also where trains are accelerating from 30-100mph. Constant tension wire would not provide any benefit for speed at this location either.
 #1425525  by NJTSmurf

EuroStar wrote:Furthermore, in Europe I see concrete (steel reinforced) poles. I have never seen concrete poles in the US. Why? I imagine the concrete poles are cheaper than the steel ones, but I do not know.
I've designed poles for catenary in North American and I've never seen concrete used. Taking a look online, the information available for what the Europeans are using is not marketed as being cheaper upfront and I'd imagine would be more expensive. (Using a centrifuge to spin high strength concrete and reinforcing it with prestress wire isn't a typical concrete fabrication technique.) I'd imagine you'll continue to see galvanized steel used as that can be procured locally in the US and would have a similar life span. (While also meeting buy America Requirements) Shipping in poles from Europe isn't cost effective and their isn't enough demand in North America for a company to procure the machinery necessary to make them. Though the Go Transit Electrification could always change that, if and when it happens. (The RFP is constantly being pushed into the future)

That said, I wasn't aware concrete OCS pulls were used, so the suggestion is a good one!
 #1425531  by east point

[quote="NJTSmurf
I've designed poles for catenary in North American and I've never seen concrete used. . Though the Go Transit Electrification could always change that, if and when it happens. (The RFP is constantly being pushed into the future)

That said, I wasn't aware concrete OCS pulls were used, so the suggestion is a good one![/quote]

Here in the south the electric companies are using concrete poles even the 69 kV lines. Especially true in Florida . Although those poles probably have different stresses than CAT. CAT pole heights should be much shorter than the electric utilities as there will not be the height that the PRR used. The 2x25 kV system does not require as much power lines.
 #1425915  by ApproachMedium

CentralValleyRail wrote:I think we should get everyone who's part of this project a nice pat on the back when it's done. Boy do they deserve it! Quite the warriors 3 years 3 miles man that was intense!

I think its been more than 3 years i remember they started it not long after i started with amtrak in 2010!