Railroad Forums 

• Delaware and Raritan River Railroad-General Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1606612  by JohnFromJersey

I know DRRR isn't unionized, but what's going to happen with this railroad strike upcoming? DRRR might be out of some traffic if it gets bad, since they are very dependent on CR bringing loads in, which is dependent on other Class I's bringing it to Jersey.
 #1606616  by Bracdude181

We will have to wait and see. I believe Conrail and the unions are negotiating.

I could be wrong but I think Dover and Delaware is gonna get hit harder than down here. Mainly cause NS is their only Class 1 interchange up there I’ve heard customers on NS are really gonna be hurting if they do strike. But again I could be totally wrong on that.
 #1606618  by CharlieL

Bracdude181 wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:37 pm Going off the pictures Forest posted, it looks like either a tamper or a tie inserter/remover. Probably a tie inserter. I haven’t seen a tamper in the area yet.
Going off the grant request, they are going to be using a lot of metal ties. Maybe something to do with that? I did not look too closely but did not see anything that looked like an arm that would swing out to handle ties.
 #1606619  by CharlieL

Just saw Forest's pic. Looks like a tie machine. Will swing by tomorrow, maybe catch it in action, tho I don't see any ties stacked nearby. One other thought: If there is a strike, it may allow work on the secondary to proceed a little quicker.

Please, God, no strike. The economy is in real rough shape, and a strike could be a dagger to the heart. Though I'm on the grunts (as opposed to the suits) side of this as far as some of the work rules go.
 #1606621  by Bracdude181

Sadly it does look as though it will happen on the 16th if agreements aren’t made. I’ve heard 60,000 rail workers nationwide will be involved. Negotiations to prevent the strike are ongoing with the Class 1s.

While at Port Reading yesterday I even saw stuff about it written on CSX 737!! Someone wrote in the grime on the engine “Strike!” and “Labor doesn’t make the railroads money.” Was interesting to see it on an engine.

I know what that’s about but I shall refrain from posting it here to stay on topic.
 #1606624  by Bracdude181

CharlieL wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:10 pm
Bracdude181 wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:37 pm Going off the pictures Forest posted, it looks like either a tamper or a tie inserter/remover. Probably a tie inserter. I haven’t seen a tamper in the area yet.
Going off the grant request, they are going to be using a lot of metal ties. Maybe something to do with that? I did not look too closely but did not see anything that looked like an arm that would swing out to handle ties.
I have not seen any metal ties be installed on the Southern yet. All ties that have been installed seem to be brand new wooden creosote treated ties. Thank god. Anything Conrail put in was usually relay NJT ties that were practically shot when they got them.