• Delaware and Raritan River Railroad-General Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by Ken W2KB

Bracdude181 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 12:11 pm It's being said on Facebook somewhere that Earle will be replacing their railcar fleet in the future and C&D will be bringing the new ones up and taking the old ones away for deposition. I'm not sure if it's true, but I have heard this occasionally come out of the rumor mill.

The post also mentions the new cars will be of "standard size" which I assume that means the exterior dimensions will be the same as the standard boxcars in use today.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk
maybe part of this initiative including raising ground level for storm flood resiliency? https://www.co.monmouth.nj.us/documents ... 0sheet.pdf
  by Bracdude181

Not sure what that would have to do with new train cars, seems more like they wanna develop around Earle more. Isn't Earle toxic though? Like lots of toxic waste on the property?

Train Westbound through Farmingdale 12:18 pm

by pdtrains

When it comes to Earle...its all politics. Bases can have increases in workload and mission (or the opposite) at the drop of a hat.
And for all we know, the real mission might be to get some work for a railcar manufacturing company...and replacing box cars at Earle could be part of a "rediness" initiative.
  by Bracdude181

1888 and three for Woodhaven but they did Freehold on the way so not sure what they left Jamesburg with.

by JohnFromJersey

pdtrains wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 1:45 pm When it comes to Earle...its all politics. Bases can have increases in workload and mission (or the opposite) at the drop of a hat.
And for all we know, the real mission might be to get some work for a railcar manufacturing company...and replacing box cars at Earle could be part of a "rediness" initiative.
This is true, but this tie project is entirely coming out of C&D/DRRR's pockets - no government money involved, IIRC. There are a ton of ties.

I have a suspicion that C&D/DRRR wouldn't invest into repairing Earle - Farmingdale that much themselves, unless there was something that involved very consistent traffic. That section of track is in pretty bad shape and definitely needs maintenance, but that much for a one-time replacement of boxcars on a part of the line that maybe sees 5 cars a month?
  by Bracdude181

Indeed, this small stretch of track seems to be getting noticeably more ties for every 30 or so feet of track vs the trackwork done south of Farmingdale they did early into their tenure down here...

In other news, posting this here so it gets seen by more people.

post1646726.html#p1646726
  by Bracdude181

1888 and five for Woodhaven.

North at DCS LAKEWOOD 11:10 PM

by Bracdude181

West through Farmingdale 11:50 am

Power pole for crossing lights went up at Adelphia Road

by Bracdude181

They dropped the 1888 at Builders and now the 2005 is pulling the train.