Railroad Forums 

• Delaware and Raritan River Railroad-General Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1612042  by Bracdude181

Update on the Woodhaven Incident.

It appears the track went out gauge very close to the switch, causing the wheels on two cars to fall in the gauge. This also damaged about 20-30 feet of the siding. There’s a whole pile of wooden blocks (possibly used to re rail the train) and some old gauge rods laying on the track that weren’t there previously.

Two cars that didn’t derail were pushed into Woodhaven for unloading. One car is still on the ground and has not moved at all. Can’t tell if they tried to re rail it. I assigned they didn’t have time left going off of what RustyRail said. (Thanks for the heads up Rusty) Not sure where the rest of the train is, but I assume it’s nearby. Not sure where they will go from here.

Have also heard Woodhaven is furious about this too. Like, SEARING with rage…
 #1612049  by ppbhist

It’s really a shame this happened but I’m not very surprised. I’ve heard from first-hand accounts over the past couple years of people pulling out spikes from the ties south of route 9 with their bare hands for scrap value and some other uses. Not implying this would have anything to do with today’s incident but considering the previous lack of oversight of the line in Lakewood and the present animosity by many residents toward the line disrupting their agendas, well ……
 #1612051  by Bracdude181

They don’t like to be defied on anything they do, regardless of what it is. Although, some of the friction between C&D and Lakewood is the result of stuff that went on during the first few weeks of them being down here. Mainly because of the cops riding the train and yelling at people even if they weren’t near the train, and because a fence was put up at Woodhaven to try and keep people from walking to the supermarket from the development on the other side of the ROW. They tore that fence out themselves a very short time afterwards. It’s not been an issue the past few runs due to what looks like Israeli security firm involvement…

It looked like all the spikes were in the ties on the sidings, but the rail itself slid sideways just enough for the wheels to fall in. Forgot to mention I saw some tie plates split in half…
 #1612139  by ppbhist

Yeah, I heard RB-1 heading north out of Lakewood early in the afternoon with a boatload of horn blowing at the crossings. Tried to post it here but my phone crashed due to poor Verizon reception (no surprise). I assume they got the situation on the Woodhaven siding resolved.
 #1612142  by Bracdude181

RustyRail5634 wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:52 pm There was a suprise RB-1 today, they likely drilled Woodhaven, and brought back five empties, three should still be down there.

SA-31 left 14 cars in Red Bank this evening, tommorow morning ought to be worth a sight . . .
752 struggles greatly with 10 cars or more. The rain is not gonna help.

I assume that’s partially why they flew down here today. No way they were gonna pull 15+ cars with just 752.
 #1612196  by Bracdude181

JohnFromJersey wrote:why no train????????????????????????????????
No idea. SA31 dropped off the train last night. No crew available? Regular conductor has not been seen lately…

Woodhavens track was repaired, but the way they fixed it is very strange. Whole ton of spikes removed, but some were replaced with what look like wooden spikes. Other spikes have had the heads removed. Gauge bars were installed every 6 or so feet starting from the frog and ending about 8 feet from the derail…