Railroad Forums 

• Delaware and Raritan River Railroad-General Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1597560  by Bracdude181

Went to look at what was taken out at Gold Lumber and now I’m highly baffled!

They took 100-200 feet of the rail from the ROW on both sides, the switch for Gold Lumber, and part of the siding.

The switch stand was left there, and the bar that connected to the switch was just sheared off. The base of the derail was also left there.

For some reason they left all the spikes and tie plates there and all those tie plates are in excellent shape so IDK why they didn’t take those. Even a lot of those ties are good enough to be reused! Didn’t take any spikes. They actually bent all the spikes getting the rails out.

Idk about you guys but all this looks more like it was stolen to me. There was also very large tire tracks in the dirt which to me says a big vehicle was used to do this.
 #1597627  by Tanker1497

They torched the switch on the TRIT to use in lakewood on cross street. They trucked it away and brought it back semi bulit. I also thought it said the re use of two tutnouts. It makes sence that they can use that turnout to go south (RR West) from up by the power station. The will need another from the main there by finally having a wye.
 #1598134  by CR7876

#1598140  by CR7876

Bracdude181 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 7:31 pm What about Seashore Lines? Are they gonna start running after all this gets in motion?

Edit: Just looked. It appears they are going after the sand line as well. I have a bad feeling that this isn’t going to end well…
What "Sand Line"?
 #1598146  by CR7876

In addition, in Delaware and Raritan River Railroad, LLC — Operation
Exemption — Consolidated Rail Corporation and New Jersey Transit Corporation, FD 36596
(the “DRRR – Notice”), DRRR has filed a notice of exemption to operate other, connecting lines
(the “Track”) owned by NJT, which, as DRRR understands Board precedent, triggers the need to
provide the Board with a copy of the same Agreement pursuant to Anthony Macrie –
Continuance in Control Exemption – New Jersey Seashore Lines, Inc., FD 35296 (STB served
Aug. 31, 2010), since the Agreement also governs DRRR’s proposed operations of noncarrierowned trackage under DRRR – Notice. The Agreement, if public, would harm the competitive
interest of DRRR in meeting the public convenience and necessity of continued rail service on
the Line and the Track.

If the above what you saw. They are talking about a protective order that was granted to NJSL back in 2010. While what you say may be true one day, its not part of this transaction.
 #1598148  by Bracdude181

Ahhh okay. I will be honest, how this whole thing could affect Seashore Lines has been my biggest concern. Having to go through both C&D and Conrail, having to deal with whatever problems both may have, paying the tariffs and prices of both etc. While it’s painfully obvious Seashore Lines was getting nowhere with Conrail, adding a middle man may not be any help.

Yes C&D could convince Clayton to drop NJSL as the service provider, but for NJSL to do all that work just for them not to be the operator? I don’t see that sitting too well with them…
 #1598163  by R36 Combine Coach

The USRA reports are very interesting - for instance Howell station had eight annual carloads as of 1973. What
were they?

Also notes that the New Jersey Farm Bureau considered the Freehold Secondary as critical to agriculture. When
did the farms in the Freehold area die out?
 #1598185  by Bracdude181

I know that towards the end of the PRR, at least once a year they’d drop a few cars off next to where Rex Lumber is now. All the area farmers would come and fill up these cars, and the PRR would take them to wherever. This stopped under Penn Central because their service was horrible.
 #1598193  by pumpers

I skimmed it yesterday and already forgot the date, but I think it said DDDR wants to be running by June 19, 2022 or thereabouts.

I assume the Farmingdale Freehold segment (or more precisely Farmingdale to the Prestone spur, or where-ever the OOS section ends) will not be operating that soon. I don't think the maps I saw showed them running over NJT. So is the interim plan to interchange with Conrail at Red Bank yard?

Once Farmingdale-Freehold is running, where will the interchange be? Will DDDR get rights to Jamesburg and then on the Amboy secondary to Browns?

I apologize in advance if I have it completely wrong, Jim S