• Delair Bridge Contingency

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by JJMDiMunno

pumpers wrote:I was on the Riverline in trenton for first time this weekend,
and although I didn't look close, it may be that the direct connection
from the riverline (the old local freight track that runs along Route 129
in trenton) to the northeast corridor (going northbound, which was the only connection) is gone. Can anyone
confirm that?

If so, the only way to get from the riverline to north east corridor
(indeed the only rail existing rail connection from South Jersey to North Jersey, I suppose), would be
to continue north on the freight extension (of what to the south is now the River line) over the NEC ( past where the riverline twists off to go to its end just west of the trenton station)
on some industrial track in trenton along route 1 (I don't know the name), which eventually connects back onto the NEC a mile or so
north of trenton station. Not sure if it connects going northbound
or southbound on the NEC or both.
Yes, the physical connection at Trenton itself is gone...the only connection now exists at MILHAM, a connection that is located at milepost 55 on the NEC, in the form of a wye. Note that this wye may not be completely intact anymore, one leg of it may be all (probably the south leg)...

That industrial track through Trenton has been the only connection for a while...was formerly called the Bordentown Secondary Track, along with the rest of the RiverLINE, but that might have changed since the construction of the light rail...it might now be the Bordentown Industrial Track, possibly the South Trenton Industrial Track...not sure...I believe it's served by a local based out of Morrisville, also not sure though...it's possible that the BU-20 goes up there at night, working on the Robbinsville Industrial as it goes along...I'm just not sure. I'm not that familiar with operations up there...

Back in the pre-RiverLINE days, WPMO-01 used to run from Morrisville to Fieldsboro (on the Bordentown Sec, now RiverLINE) Monday - Friday...that's likely changed now...that would have used the connection at MILHAM, after the connection at "FAIR" on the NEC was removed (whenever that happened, I don't know the answer to that one)...

Mike DiMunno
www.SJRail.com: All about South Jersey Railroads!

by Engineer

If you're talking about the track at the station, it sounds like your talking about the "Wall Track". It looks like it still goes all the way up to the top of the hill by the Trenton Line but doesn't go all the way. Its used as a storage track or headroom to make reverse moves usually by NJT trains.....