Railroad Forums 

• Dear Santa -- 2022

• Pan Am Southern (webssite: https://panamsouthern.com ) is jointly-owned by CSX and Norfolk Southern, but operated by Genesee & Wyoming subsidiary Pittsburg & Shawmut dba Berkshire and Eastern,
Pan Am Southern (webssite: https://panamsouthern.com ) is jointly-owned by CSX and Norfolk Southern, but operated by Genesee & Wyoming subsidiary Pittsburg & Shawmut dba Berkshire and Eastern,

Moderator: MEC407

#1611452  by jaymac

Dear Santa-
Thanks for delivering on the deal. Some positive things are actually happening. I know radio coverage is still spotty, but that can be fixed.
What I'd really like -- especially with the increase in flu and the persistence of Covid -- is the extension of paid sick-time to everybody under agreement.
Yours in hope,
-jaymac
 #1611468  by johnpbarlow

There’s still a matter that’s on back order: the B&E takeover of PAS ops. Santa, please expedite this delivery! :wink:

PS: And NS running IM/auto trains over the B&A would also be sweet, Santa.
 #1611472  by newpylong

I hope it never happens and the traffic sticks to the B&M forcing them to invest more there. But it would be cool to see them moving over the Albany Main again.
 #1611874  by arthur d.

Send the NIMBY's packing and restore the Eastern division as far as Portsmouth. Its becoming a destination city, the downtown area is infested with new hotels and the lot occupied by the successive stations is currently vacant.
 #1612040  by shadyjay

At this point, it'd be easier to come up the B&M main that Amtrak uses up to Rockingham Jct, then rehab the few miles from there to Portsmouth. Maybe Santa could bring in some more double track for the main, for that matter!
Last edited by MEC407 on Wed Dec 14, 2022 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting
 #1612061  by MEC407

P.S. Santa, thank you for the repairs and refurbishments you've already provided at Rigby Yard in South Portland, and for the many more that are on the way (according to your elves who moonlight at CSX Transportation). The new blue metal roofs on Tower PT and the yard office look sharp. It's not quite B&M blue, but it's pretty just the same!
 #1612071  by MEC407

I'll see what I can do :)
 #1614488  by MEC407

I haven't been able to get any pics, but today's Portland Press Herald has a story on MaineDOT's new statewide transportation plan and coincidentally included a photo of the Tower PT roof being rebuilt:
32965190_20221028_feature_3.jpg
32965190_20221028_feature_3.jpg (410.34 KiB) Viewed 1058 times
Photo caption: "A worker from Twin Metal Roofing in Billerica, MA works with a crew to replace the roof on a lineside building at Rigby Yard in South Portland last fall. Derek Davis/Staff Photographer"
 #1614516  by jaymac

Given the full ice-and-water application, it looks like CSXT wants the structure to be around into the 22nd century.
 #1614828  by CPF66

That is something that needs to be done on any new roof due to local code regulations.
 #1614857  by jaymac

Congrats to the residents of South Portland and all the other local jurisdictions that require full ice-and-water. Unfortunately, the requirement isn't universal, and except for some fire-prone jurisdictions, metal roofing isn't a local requirement.
 #1615466  by MEC407

Here's a picture of the back of the yard office. New roof, new windows, and new concrete addition on the east side of the building. I couldn't get a picture of the front, but you get the idea.
Attachments:
IMG_5574.jpg
IMG_5574.jpg (1.27 MiB) Viewed 553 times