Railroad Forums 

• Dear Santa/2015

• Pan Am Southern (webssite: https://panamsouthern.com ) is jointly-owned by CSX and Norfolk Southern, but operated by Genesee & Wyoming subsidiary Pittsburg & Shawmut dba Berkshire and Eastern,
Pan Am Southern (webssite: https://panamsouthern.com ) is jointly-owned by CSX and Norfolk Southern, but operated by Genesee & Wyoming subsidiary Pittsburg & Shawmut dba Berkshire and Eastern,

Moderator: MEC407

#1360579  by jaymac

Dear Santa-
First, there's a lot to be thankful for. Progress, however glacial it might seem, has been happening, not just on PAS but also on PAR. Reconstruction for the gelatin plant? Wow! Noel Weaver still posting? Even better! NewBlue 3400s? To go all Dickensian, please, sir, may we have more? Posting indicates we will, but now and not later would be better. They'e purtier than but, so far, fewer than the 3400s of recent history. Not that I have anything against cab drivers, but could crews spend more time moving trains instead of being moved to and from them? I know that means more crews and also -- hopefully -- fewer pin-pullers and/or jumpers to other lines. If anyone can do it, you can. Today, newpylong shared the glad tidings that both tracks 'twixt Tyters and Wrights are 25 MPH. How long since that was the case? At the risk of seeming like an ingrate, could similar speed-ups happen system-wide? While I'm at it, could completion of the large -- the Fitchburg Extension -- and the small -- the air plant-to-be -- actually happen in the near term? Oh, and is there a Pownal siding in the future?
I've eaten up enough bytes, so thanks for what you've already done and thanks in advance for what you will do!
-jaymac
 #1360599  by newpylong

I may also add every 10 mph speed restriction added to PAS freight main has been removed within a couple days - unheard of really, hopefully they keep it up.

They were supposed to bring the #1 track Montague to Erving back up to 25 mph as well this summer but that never happened. Perhaps in the spring.

I think the Pownal Siding is pretty far down on their list.
 #1360603  by YamaOfParadise

While completely out of Pan Am's control, (and therefore pretty good to put in a 'Dear <insert omniscient being here>' list,) I would hope/wish for the loss of (primarily paper) customers up north to not be as drastic as the trend has been. Mismanagement certainly can kill railroads; it would just be unfortunate if right as some positive progression happens within PAR, uncontrollable forces external to it ended up pushing it further down.

I also hope that whatever the outcome of the CP+NS debacle is, it doesn't end up hurting PAS' operations and investments.

And finally, something less existential: seeing the Stony Brook and Lowell Branches get some TLC to bring them up to track conditions that a freight mainline ought to be at. Don't care if it's through PAR's funding and initiative or governmental, it's just a no-brainer... which is why it's in the short-term playbook. Just would be nice to see it happen sooner rather than later. :wink:
 #1360624  by CPF363

Would be also beneficial to the system to get the number 2 track re-established between Greenfield and somewhere around MP 388. Much of the old track is still there, is there enough to assemble it back into a working siding so trains can pull out of the west end of the yard for meets at MP-388 with east bound moves? Be nice to have a universal crossover half way between Erving and Montague too. How about the number 2 track east of Gardner, some of that old track also still there, might help with meets and the P&W interchange. The Worcester Route Main Line is in need of substantial work, rail, ties, surfacing. A tie job could be done over all of the main lines to sustain the speed and reliability. Last but not least, how about a new radio base on one of the many hills in Fitchburg, region is full of dead spots and with the commuter rail heading west to Wachusett is only going to complicate the already difficult communications there.
 #1360712  by johnpbarlow

I looked back at the "Dear Santa 2014" thread from a year ago and found at least one of Jaymac's wishes from 2014 was actually exceeded!

"Also, even though they're not as nice-looking as the NewBlues, I'd appreciate it if you could use your influence so the NS 3400s stayed around at least a little longer."

Santa took your request to heart and, presto, the 3400s are now in the NewBlue paint scheme! :wink: There is a Santa Claus!

viewtopic.php?f=55&t=158320
 #1360749  by MEC407

My wish is for a continued state-of-fair-repair on the Downeaster route: no more hour-plus delays that last for months.

The cherry on top would be some NewBlue MEC 400s in the form of ET44ACs fresh from Santa's workshop in Erie, PA.

Yes, I know, I know — I'll go take my meds now.
 #1360820  by jaymac

One real advance this past year has been an increase, not from 10 to 25 or from 25 to 40 -- although those have happened -- but in site civility. Without invoking any spirits of Grinches Past, there has been disagreement from time to time, but the flame-war postings that typified some unnamed and now inactive posters are currently artifacts of a less happy past. The rest of the world may seem bent on doing away with itself, but tidings of comfort and joy seem the modus operandi of RAILROAD.net, particularly on Pan Am Railways (formerly Guilford Rail System).
Thanks, Santa and mods!
 #1360828  by MEC407

Hear, hear!
 #1360836  by NHV 669

I do miss those posts typed entirely IN ALL CAPS.

Dear Santa, as I return back to home turf, let me see ST 52, in all her glory, operating in snow, as she returns up north for the first time since the last millenium.
 #1361315  by p42thedowneaster

Dear Santa,
How about leasing some coaches to PAR so that they may find new revenue in FP9 powered excursions on various legs of the system. I've always wanted to ride the NH main up along the Merrimack River from Nashua to Concord...and I wouldn't mind doing so at low speed.