Railroad Forums 

• Dead M3's on Hempstead Branch?

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1610710  by interface76

While heading out to do some shopping yesterday morning, I caught a quick glimpse of what seemed like a bunch of M3's being pulled by an LIRR switcher across the Covert Ave crossing on the Hempstead Branch going eastward. Couldn't get out the phone camera quick enough though!
 #1610844  by Crabman1130

The two M-3s sandwiched between the 2 switchers are cars that spray sandite on the rails to help with adhesion during the fall when the oils from the leaves make the rails slippery.
 #1610852  by krispy

Crabman1130 wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:55 pm The two M-3s sandwiched between the 2 switchers are cars that spray sandite on the rails to help with adhesion during the fall when the oils from the leaves make the rails slippery.
They haven't used Sandite in some time, although I do hear it referred to as "the sandite" on occasion after years of doing it. This year it's mostly been the Laser trains, with a steam train thrown in on occasion. Lasers are quicker than Steamers, (albeit painfully slow if you don't slot them correctly).

At one point there was automatic sandite applicators on the Long Beach branch east of Lynbrook, not sure if it's still used. The grade going up to the elevated portion after Centre Ave could be one of the worst spots in terms of slipslide. Not sure if they did that elsewhere, although I would suggest it on the Hempstead and West Hempstead if they got the chance.