Railroad Forums 

• DCC - converting non-DCC locomotives?

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#1059274  by peanut1

Hello,
Recently placed an order with Trainland for a DCC controller. It's on backorder so I have no idea when it will show up. I have just noticed that I have a slight problem. What do I do with my non DCC locomotives? Two of them are bachmann and two of them are Athearn. The bachmann ones probably could be upgraded. The athearn ones is what I'm concerened about. One of the diesels only has one motor as the other motor seems to have blown out. My other diesel is fairly new (NYA MP15) and would really like to keep it running. Can the MP15 be upgraded to run on DCC? I am trying to get all this sorted out as I am trying to purchase the newly released Amtrak stuff from Walthers proto2000. If anybody can help that would be great.
 #1059294  by Backshophoss

Digitrax make a simple conversion harness for Athearn pre-DCC(blue box) loco's,called DHAT,it allows solderless connection to
the motor and frame.
Just MAKE SURE that you insulate the motor from the frame,use a piece of good electrical tape or"paint on" insulation material!
Use Miniatronics 14 volt bulbs for front/rear headlights.(Walters# 475-1802810)
The harness is pre-packaged with a DH-123 decoder(Walters#245-DH123AT)
 #1061732  by Backshophoss

Is the other Athearn unit a DD-40 with 2 motors?? Maybe your local hobby shop can order a replacement motor from Horizen(Athearn's disturibtor)
If possible, change all the motor mounts to the newer style motor mounts(they use screws to hold the mount to the frame.
 #1062004  by peanut1

One unit is an Athearn New York and Atlantic MP15 and the other ones a bachmann Norfolk Southern GP50.
 #1062041  by Backshophoss

Bachmann normally insists on models be shipped back to Philla.Pa for repairs/replacement.
Bachmann will not sell parts to Hobbyshops.(at least in the US)
IF the GP-50 has the bad motor,you're forced to send it back!!

A WARNING: some Bachmann HO products use "split frames" like their"N" scale counterparts.
It will be a challange to convert to DCC.
 #1062414  by peanut1

The engine with the bad motor is an athearn CP rail GP35.
 #1062416  by peanut1

Update: I recieved my DCC controller from another hobby shop as trainland didn't know when they were getting more. I recieved it yesterday and have already learned how to use it =) Came with a Conrail GP40.