Railroad Forums 

• DCC bachmann acela express question

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#1134508  by peanut1

Recently bought some Acela stuff off Ebay. Recieved the engines yesterday and the cars last week. I was able to program the engines address commands into the controller after moving another engine off address command three so that way the Acela could go on that button. I know I have it programmed as the red and white lights work on the acela engine. Here's the problem, I can't get it to move. I have power and I turned the knob on the controller but the Acela did not budge. Did I possible do something wrong when I was programming this set?
 #1134781  by Backshophoss

Is the decoder a bachmann type(factory) or one of the major brand decoders?
The Bachmann factory decoder wil allow a 2 digit address change,and not much else,changing fuctions,or remapping is
is blocked.:(
 #1135002  by peanut1

I don't know what kind of decoder is inside of it. It came with the decoder already installed. I am assuming it would be a bachmann decoder. I may have to contact the seller on EBay and ask him. Right now the set is sitting in a yard on my layout.
 #1135151  by Backshophoss

He might have changed the Adress on the decoder,try the last 2 digits of the engine(motor)# and see if it moves.
Who made your DCC system? Do you have JMRI(DecoderPro3) installed in your computer?
Are you or a friend a member of a club with Digitrax or NCE as their DCC control system?

Note: Both the current version of Java(1.7) and JRMI are freeware programs and are CLEAN downloads
 #1137803  by peanut1

UPDATE: Still have not been able to get these engines running. I noticed that the powered unit has no lights that come on but the dummy does. is it possible the guy I bought the engines from installed the decoder in the wrong engine? If this is the case what should I do?
 #1137957  by Backshophoss

Does your DCC control allow for 00(unconverted DC loco) operation??
Also check if the switch for power pickup from overhead wire is set for rail pickup,not the wire.
 #1139405  by peanut1

My controller has one analog button and the rest are DCC engine buttons. Where would this switch be located for rail operation/overhead wire operation? Never thought of that.
 #1139430  by Backshophoss

The switch might on the underframe somewhere,or you may have to pull off the body shell to find it
Did the set have Instruction sheet/parts list with it?
 #1139821  by peanut1

No instruction sheet came with these engines. I will have to check the underneath of the lead unit and see if the switch is set properly to track power.
 #1145832  by Backshophoss

Did you get it to run yet? From what I found on the Bachmann website,it seems 1 of the cars is the actual power unit. :(
Believe the sheet on the website was a earlier version of the Acela.
 #1147922  by peanut1

HO scale set, currently in storage b/c the lead unit has a glitch in it. Thats what I was told by the hobby store I took it to. Bachmann couldn't help me get it running according to their email they sent me. I am trying to find an HHP for the cars and just run it that way.
 #1147949  by Backshophoss

Bachmann warrenty normally insists on shipping the defective set back to philly for repair/replacement,
out of warrenty there's a cost($) involved.
Is Bachmann unable to repair it or just saying no?
 #1154905  by peanut1

They won't repair it for me. They said being that I didn't buy it rom them they cannot help me out and the person I bought it from cannot help me either. Right now it's in storage until I can get it to a hobby store and have them take a look at it.