Railroad Forums 

• Davenport 35-Ton Switcher

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#700406  by Benjamin Maggi

I am building a 1/8 size model of an ex-army Davenport 35-Ton switcher. It will ride on 7.25" gauge track. The local shortline (Catskill Mountail Railroad) has one that I have taken lots of pictures of. However, I am interested to know if any of the railroad magazines (MR, Trains, RMC, etc..) have run articles about these specific engines.... HOPEFULLY with scale drawings!

I have attached a picture to show the specific engine I am talking about. Thanks!

#804288  by Allen Hazen

Check back here in a couple of days: there was a Davenport article in an issue of "Extra 2200 South" from the late 1970s that had some drawings, but perhaps not of this type. I'll check and post results.
 #804400  by Benjamin Maggi

Allen,
That would be great! I will contact them directly to see if they have reprints available, but if they don't remember what issue it was in then anything you find would be very useful.
 #805350  by Allen Hazen

Benjamin Maggi--
Sorry to get your hopes up. I seem to have been misremembering an article about ***Porter*** locomotives in "E2200S issue #66 (1978). "E2200S" ran regular articles (under a section heading "ORO," for "Old, Rare and Obscure") on early locomotives from minor builders in its early years, and I would be surprised if there wasn't one on Davenports... but apparently NOT in one of the issues I have. Probably worth checking, but I can't be sure.
Again, apologies.

(Maybe bumping your query up to the top of the forum index again will inspire someone who CAN help to post...)
 #805896  by Benjamin Maggi

Allen Hazen wrote:More bad news. There's a "Mini Index' of the first 90 issues of "E2200S" on-line at
http://www.railfax.com/miniindex1.htm
and I don't SEE anything that looks like a Davenport feature. Sorry.
Thanks. After reading your first post I checked out the index and didn't see anything myself. But, I figured that perhaps it was a short article not worthy of inclusion in the index. Oh well, thanks for looking! :-)
 #805898  by Benjamin Maggi

Allen Hazen wrote:For curiosity (and perhaps to jog the memory of someone who COULD help you), does the locomotive you are interested in resemble one of the ones with photos indexed on this
http://www.northeast.railfan.net/diesel97.html
site?
Yuppers, there are several that are similar to the one I am interested in, and TWO pictures of the exact engine I am building It belongs to Catskill Mountain Railroad, and one picture is blue and the other is red. I have talked to them and they are very helpful.