Railroad Forums 

• dash 7 and turbos

• Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).
Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).

Moderator: MEC407

#49728  by St-Jean Diamond

Ever noticed that you can never hear the turbo whine on those C30-7 ? Could it be that MM&A de-turboed those engines? I remember seing Alco engines belching smoke on hard acceleration (turbo lag) but once they got to speed they where not that bad and you could really hear the turbo whinning like hell. Each time I see those C30-7, they ALWAYS smoke; idle, constant load or accelerating! :( Could it be that without a turbo, the FDL16 engine timing is not quite right and combustion is not optimal. (if indeed they removed it) Any thoughts?

#49824  by TerryC

I thought it was impossible to de turbo a General Electric locomotive.

#50121  by MEC407

I'm not sure whether it's possible or impossible, but I've never heard of any railroad de-turboing a GE locomotive, or an ALCO for that matter.

You might get a better answer if you post your question on the GE forum.