Railroad Forums 

• Dangerous happening

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#2627  by kevikens

I am not sure that this is the right forum but since I railfan mostly in NJ and Pa. I'll post it here and if it belongs elsewhere I won't be offended by being forwarded to another forum. A few days ago I was standing in a parking lot adjacent to an NS main line right of way, but NOT on RR property. A fast freight went on by and one of the flatcars had a load of lumber secured by flat metal strips. One of these strips had come loose and was flapping in the air and bouncing up and down and hitting the ground some six or seven feet from the car. This train was travelling at a good 50 mph and if I had been closer, and on occasion I have been, the results could have been tragic. I don't know if this could be detected by the automatic detecting equipment. I didn't have a cell phone and was nowhere near a pay phone, though come to think of it I don't know who I would have called. The bottom line on this is for railfans to keep in mind that this sort of scenario is a potential disaster in the offing and to stay well clear of the tracks. I did not see this strip until it was right in front of me. Anybody else out there ever have a similar experienc ?

#2641  by Jtgshu

That is most definately in the right forum.....it should be made a sticky and posted on the top of every forum!!!

The RR is a dangerous place, a very dangerous place. Usually at crossings or signal huts or other railroad structure, there is a telephone number to call for reporting problems.

#2680  by DutchRailnut

Railroads in General have a 50 foot right of way. 25 feet from center of track. to be reasonable safe you must stand at least 50 foot from nearest rail. just incase a piece of lumber or other long load is shifted.

#2732  by nolifeCRchaser

Something similiar happened about a week ago on the Northern Branch. Aparently, someone was trying to boost a trailer or container by attaching a chain to it while the train was doubling. The portion of the train was already outside of the yard and was good on the initial rollby. When the train started pulling, the chain came loose from whatever the other end was held to and caught the switch in an interlocking, ripping something out that also tore out the dwarf signal. No tains moved on the Northern Branch through CP MARION for about 4 hours. When we took our head room, we could see the signal was missing.
On another note, during the summer, an open plug door caught one of the station platforms at Roslle Park or some station on the Lehigh Line and fell onto the platform. Just imagine if that had been NJT's morning rush hour. A little different from the hanging cord on the flat cars, which could have been avoided with a proper inspection of the equipment as it departed the yard or industry from where it was pulled.
 #3610  by trainman2

If you see something like that, try to memorize the car number.

If the train's going too fast to see the number, try to remember the color of the car, what railroad or company owns it, and its general location within the train. Notice the type of cars it's adjacent to as well.

It also helps to remember which direction the train is going. If the dispatcher knows this, it could greatly expidite correcting the problem. It could also help identify which train you're looking at, and thus enable the dispatcher to contact the crew immediately.

Go to the nearest crossing, or station(if applicable), and look for the emergency number. There's normally a sign posted on the signals cabinet that gives the railroad number.

On the Susquehanna, our main number is 1-800-366-NYSW (6979). Once you call the number, the electronic voice will direct you to the proper extension. Don't hang up if the message says "our offices are now closed". It will still give you the dispatcher's number if you stay on the line. It also has a specific extension to use if you need to report an accident.

And get as far away from the train as possible. Run away from the train at a right angle, if possible. If not, run in the direction the train is coming from. (i.e. If it's a westbound train, run east) Never try to outrun material that falls from a train.

If anybody else out there is in a similar situation, please report the problem ASAP. The NYC Conneaut, Ohio Wreck of 1953 was believed to have resulted because steel piping fell from an eastbound train and landed on the wesbound track. The Mowhak hit the pipe, derailed, and broadsided another freight train that was passing it on an adjacent track. Then, the Southwestern Limited came along and crashed into the wreckage of the other two trains. Twenty-one people were killed in that wreck. So, please, take loose material very seriously.

#3744  by NJTRailfan

NYSW doesn't go through Dover but M&E and NS does. Does anyone have their emergency numbers? If so then I'll carry it in my wallet and in case I see something I'll know who to contact.
 #4080  by trainman2

For the Morristown and Erie, the main number is (973) 267- 4300.

I'm not sure what format they use, but that's their main number.