Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#891815  by DutchRailnut

Correct in last few weeks two more catenary poles have fallen over.
There is no plan to re-electrifyas of now.
The active catenary only extends to catenary pole 5 or about 12x85 foot past
Walk tower.
 #891986  by Patrick A.

Does the wire serve Dock Yard as well?
 #892048  by DutchRailnut

no only danbury main track for 12 car leghts.
 #893877  by brettj22

In the event you didn't see it, the Mileposts I referenced above is now available on the MTA website (for a limited time since it's not archived):

http://www.mta.info/mnr/html/mileposts.pdf

The work done was listed as:
• 36 of 114 welded-in-place insulated rail joints;
• 23 of 24 GPS-located mile post signs;
• one of 13 dual track electric/manual switch machines;
• 21 of 33 track signal foundations along the Branch;
• eight of 31 utility poles for new overhead catenary wire.
In addition, a locomotive-driven cable-plow train ran the entire 24-mile length of the Danbury Branch.
 #893934  by fredmcain

I still don't understand the eight of 31 catenary poles. I wonder if this is an error and the poles that are getting changed out are actually catenary bridges on the mainline - not on the Danbury branch.

However, the possibility cannot be ignored completely that the 31 poles are for the Danbury Branch in anticipation of its eventual electrification. Does anybody know?

Fred M. Cain
 #894041  by Patrick A.

How long does 31 cat poles go down the line? Would it be enough to cover DOCK yard?
 #894163  by DutchRailnut

The poles are not for Catenary but to relocate the AT&T Fiber Optic line at or near new interlockings and over bridges.
for example 4 poles were planted near where the soth switch willl be for Betherl south Switch.
 #894299  by fredmcain

But M/N's statement on their website specifically refers to the "utility poles" as being "for catenary". Therein lies the mystery.

It's probably an error on their part. That's all I can think of.

I might try e-mailing them directly and ask them what's up with this.

-Fred M. Cain
 #894416  by Ridgefielder

The confusion probably arose from the fact that the fiber optic is strung for the most part from the old catenary supports.
 #1021623  by scoostraw

Greg Moore wrote:That said, I do miss the old Bonanza bus service from NYC that basically followed Rte 7.
Whatever happened to the bus that used to run Pittsfield - Great Barrington - Hillsdale - Copake - Millerton - Amenia - and then over the hill and down to NYC via Fishkill? It began running I believe on or about Amtrak-Day. But I don't know when it ended.
 #1022018  by Jeff Smith

Since someone bumped the thread, is this service still being offered? I went to the web-site Getaways page, and the Connecting Services page, and couldn't find anything (even though the Getaways page specifically says "Berkshires").
 #1142823  by Jeff Smith

Note: not a dupe to the signalization thread. Someone posted an old video on the FB page for the CTRRC. I thought it was interesting, even if nothing else is going on.

http://www.danburybranchstudy.com/video ... Video.html
 #1143714  by Ridgefielder

Well, well, lookie here--
Ridgefield Patch wrote:Lawmakers Call For Danbury Branch Upgrade
A bill from state lawmakers Toni Boucher (R-26) and Gail Lavielle (R-143) calls for electrification, increased performance and more trains on the line... State Sen. Toni Boucher (R-26) and state Rep. Gail Lavielle (R-143) have proposed House Bill 5180, which would authorize state bonds to electrify the branch.
http://ridgefield.patch.com/articles/la ... tc00000001

Danbury Elecrification, or the Bad Idea that Would Not Die.
 #1143781  by The EGE

Ridgefielder, would you mind explaining why this is a bad idea? (I'm not terribly familiar with the branch.) Is it merely too low a level of service to justify electrification, or something more?