Railroad Forums 

• D&R

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

D&R

#112804  by CNJGeep

On the D&R canal trail, what is the NJT engine?

#112845  by MickD

Where is there one??

#112860  by CGRLCDR

I don't understand the question. I've hiked, bicycled, canoed and kayaked just about all of the D&R Canal and feeder towpath and have not run across the NJT engine? What are you talking about? :-D
 #112902  by Lackawanna484

CNJGeep wrote:On the D&R canal trail, what is the NJT engine?
Yes.

#112944  by Scrap The U34CH

I have heard many times that there is an old NJT loco somewhere along the DnR canal. I don't know what model it is though, I have never seen it myself but supposedly there is one somewhere along the Canal.

#112949  by Jtgshu

Is that the I think 424, an F7 i tihnk? There was a pic of it in a few months ago in Railpace I believe about being moved because that stretch of track and the connection to the outside world was going to be ripped up...

....any one else know what I am talking about or am I nuts? hahaha

#112992  by Sirsonic

It was moved out several months ago from Milford, where it had been rusting away for several years. It was moved to what they reported as an "undisclosed location" because for some reason they dont want anyone to know its in Lebanon on the Raritan Line. Right at the station, along with a bunch of other cars that were stored there after they were evicted from the MU Shed in Hoboken so it could be demolished.

#113006  by JLo

The reason no one saw it along the canal is that the canal ends about 15 miles south of Milford at Bulls Island. The canal path continues along the old road bed of the ex-PRR to just south of Milford.

#113009  by PTRMgtSvc

That makes sense.

I was thinking of first the Dinky on the swing bridge at Princeton Draw / Basin (Sirsonic - check a really old ETT. On the main it was Princeton Basin. On the branch it was Princeton Draw.) I was also trying to see if you see the Trenton Protect engine which is parked at Millham from somewhere along either the trail or the public parts of the creek.

What threw me is that the Feeder Canal begins at Raven Rock which is well below Milford but the trail extends on up the Bel-Del.

That park runs from New Brunswick through past Bound Brook and Manville, Princeton, and Trenton to Bordentown and from Trenton up the Delaware River. Simply saying D&R Trail or D&R Park covers a lot of territory.
Last edited by PTRMgtSvc on Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#113670  by CNJGeep

Yes, I think, by process of elimination, it would be the 424. Poor things, with the way they've been vandalised. BLOODY YOUNGS!!!