Railroad Forums 

• D&H Coffee books

• Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.
Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.

Moderator: Aa3rt

#742593  by smithsam7

I'm looking to purchase a D&H book for my husband for Christmas and was looking for some advice since I'm not very familar with trains. I would like the book to have nice color pictures on just about every page and descriptions so he could use it as a reference for modeling and paint schemes. The book does not have to be hard bound.
Sorry in advance if this should've gone under the D&H threads.
 #742646  by scottychaos

I would go with any of the "D&H in Color" books by Morning Sun Books,
they have 5 D&H books:

D&H Color Guide to Freight and Psgr. Equipment
Delaware and Hudson In Color, Vol. 1
Delaware and Hudson In Color, Vol. 2
Delaware and Hudson In Color, Vol. 3
Delaware and Hudson Steam In Color

http://www.morningsunbooks.com

Morning Sun books are generally very nice..(although IMO they are starting to get a bit too expensive, for the size of the books) but $45 is a decent value for most of them..they are nice hard cover books, usually about 120-130 pages..no one else does "all color" books like they do.

For a detailed history of the D&H (but no color photos) the best book is:
http://www.amazon.com/Delaware-Hudson-I ... 0815604556
this book goes way back to the origin of the D&H, has lots of nice B&W photos, but no color.
its more of a "in-depth history" book, as opposed to a "picture book"..
the Morning Sun books are heavier on the "picture book" side, and less heavy on the detailed history..
(although they do give some history too..and the photos have captions)

For a "first book" on the D&H, personally I would choose:
Delaware and Hudson In Color Volume 2
Jeremy and Jeffrey Plant
As the winds of change swept over Eastern railroads in the 1960s, the D&H entered its most exciting period. Exotic diesels such as PAs and Sharks, wild lashups of units bearing the colors of the D&H and former owners, and expansion into the large cities of the East characterize the D&H before the Guilford takeover in 1984. Join us in this 128-page hardcover for a trip over the D&H in the heady years between lightning stripes and Guilford.
Item # 1030
$49.95
from: http://www.morningsunbooks.com/anthraci ... son%20Vol1

that looks like a nice "general" book on the D&H in the diesel era..
I dont have the book personally, but I would like to!
(I have a ton of other Morning sun books, on the LV, EL, and other railroads..im very happy with all of them)

Scot
 #742745  by smithsam7

Thank you I had seen the Sun Books mixed in with some other D&H books and wasn't sure if they were the best books to buy. I will definately look into the black and white photo book with history. I'm sure he would love that also.