Railroad Forums 

• D&H 417 into Fresh Pond

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #373420  by grumpyoldman

I also posted this on the CP forum. The last info I have is that D&H 417 crew goes on duty at 4:00 PM MWF so I was hanging out in Elmhurst today between 4 and 5:30 hoping for a look but it was a no-show.

Does it still run on this schedule?

Thanks,

John

#373620  by jtunnel

Sometimes when the return train is short, they hang around Fresh Pond for a while and leave later. They have some time to burn as long as they are ready to go when Metro-North lets them on their property, just after the rush hour.

I've also seen the train leave earlier then 4 PM, depends upon their hours of rest and who's on the train.

The train has been short lately and makes really good time heading north to The Bronx.

I like Fridays in the summer when sometimes the CSX job runs late and CP follows right behind them going to Oak Point. looks like a model railroad! :-)

John

#373930  by DogBert

CP left today for whatever reason... usual 2 sd's and a short haul.

Are they still handling the tank cars for that customer they've had? I noticed some tankers in the csx train the other day that looked similar to what was in the CP haul last time i saw it (which was probably last summer sometime).

#375837  by phantom

Mon Mar 12, 2007
For one reason or another D&H did not make it down Sunday night, 3/11.
They came in Monday night instead. They do bring in tanks for one customer occasionally; most gas is coming from CSX however.

#377894  by R-44

where does the train originate from?

#377903  by N221UA

Saratoga Springs, NY
 #1570349  by Pensyfan19

1. Does this train still run into NYC? I've heard that it was one of three freight railroads from the mainland (along with CSX and P&W) and I haven't seen any sign of CP Rail going to Fresh Pond since 2011 or so.

2. I also remember hearing that a while ago (2004 or 05) a CP Rail SD40-2 went all the way to Hicksville or Riverhead for an event. Does anyone have any photos of this rare occurrence?
 #1570563  by freightguy

Pensyfan19 wrote:1. Does this train still run into NYC? I've heard that it was one of three freight railroads from the mainland (along with CSX and P&W) and I haven't seen any sign of CP Rail going to Fresh Pond since 2011 or so.

2. I also remember hearing that a while ago (2004 or 05) a CP Rail SD40-2 went all the way to Hicksville or Riverhead for

an event. Does anyone have any photos of this rare occurrence?
I can assure you that your number 2 point is completely false. Nothing east of Fresh Pond. CP Rail stopped coming to NYAR/Fresh Pond around 2010. I would've like to have seen CN get trackage rights into Queens. Our marketing manager said Canadian National probably would've run a train as large as CSX's each day
 #1570748  by ConstanceR46

Normally i'd agree with such a cold-faced dismissal of a fantastical point... but i do wonder if #2 has at least a smidgen of truth to it. I recall at least discussion that someone was mad they'd taken, or planned to take, a 6-axle engine down there.

I remember back when CP ran in one of the fondest memories of young me was my grandmother driving me up to the yard and watching the 2 big, red diesels move cars around. Does CSX power ever go to the lower yard, or does it just stay on the NYCR?
 #1570849  by freightguy

ConstanceR46,

You're a tough sale not buying into these hearsay rumors like with the M1's in Mexico on the LIRR thread.

Nothing like that occurred with CP rail units going east of the derails at Fresh Pond. The NYA RS-301 used the CP power to drill the yard, that's about it. LIRR is not a big fan of 6 axle power on their joint use territory. I don't think CSX or P&W is able to even use the west and east legs of Fresh Pond to wye engines anymore.
 #1570937  by ConstanceR46

Don't get me wrong - I do not believe a single M1 saw service in mexico. However, i was simply looking for definitive evidence - Even in cases where Hanlon's Razor likely applies, it's good to have evidence in order to completely put something to rest - is finding definitive proof not the point of being a historian, railroad or otherwise?

The rumor is presumably false. However, again, i'd like to see definitive proof.

No need to get heated over it and assume i believe M1s ran in commuter service in Mexico.