Railroad Forums 

• CVT vs. Micro Engineering track

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#8611  by VCRail

Thinking about upgrading from Atlas
on a new layout but don't have the
time to handlay Code 70. Given your
druthers, would you go with the CVT
system or ME flex ad turnouts?
Anyone have experience with CVT?[/b]

#8843  by snowplough

Depending on my time, I was going to install my first CVT track this coming week, so I can't speak from experience just yet.

However . . . given the fact that CVT is the most realistic track available (see the photos at www.cvmw.com), and the instructions don't look that difficult, I would definitely go with CVT.

By the way, Central Valley recommends using Barge cement for laying the rail on the ties, but I haven't been able to find it anywhere. Does anyone know where I can get some?

Thanks,

Snowplough

#10459  by VCRail

CustomTrax is charging $22 for a turnout and $10.80 for a three foot section. Unless I do some Enron or Penn Central accounting on my taxes, that's a bit out of reach. Le's see, for three-foot sections Atlas is running about $2.30,CVT $3.75 and MicroEngineering $5. To solve the problem, I'll order the test section kit from CVT and let you know how I do (when my 3-year old is getting my attention like now.)