Railroad Forums 

• Cushing Stone's Model 40 critter

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#81813  by Trackmobile

Does anyone know if the EMD Model 40 at the Cushing Stone Quarry is still at the property? Is it even used?

#81827  by O-6-O

As of the first week of Dec it was still there. No it hasn't been used in along time. Because the rail line into Cushing is now abandoned and being
removed it will likely never operate again. (at least there). Needs to be in a museum in my opinion.

STEAM ON
/--OOO--;-oo--oo-

#81839  by Otto Vondrak

I bet it will fit in the back of my Jeep. No sweat. Of course, once I brought it to the museum I would probably get laughed out of the joint. I bet it will fit in the tunnels at RIT...

How many of these critters are still around? Did this one spend it's whole life in New York?

-otto-
Last edited by Otto Vondrak on Thu Dec 30, 2004 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#81899  by Trackmobile

Can anyone recall when they last saw the engine in use?Can anyone give me a history ( if there is one ) on the engine? :P

#81909  by Trackmobile

O-6-O wrote:As of the first week of Dec it was still there. No it hasn't been used in along time. Because the rail line into Cushing is now abandoned and being
removed it will likely never operate again. (at least there). Needs to be in a museum in my opinion.

STEAM ON
/--OOO--;-oo--oo-
Yes it does need to be in a museum.Only 11 were built between 1940 & 1943.

#83504  by stilson4283

Is anyone contacting them about a donation to a local RR museum or should I start the ball rolling. It is great to sit here and think about it but someone should at least give it a try.

Chris

#83533  by SimTrains

Stupid question: Where exactly is this Cushing Stone Quarry? Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse?

#83544  by LCJ

Actually, on the opposite side of the Mohawk River from Amsterdam.
 #83546  by pablo

How heavy are these locomotives? Dimensions? Is this unit operable? Are there others worth saving? Is it using Engine technology that is easy to obtain, or, as I seem to recall, does it use a block and related materials that are no longer obtainable?

I agree it should be saved...but who were its original owners? Is there an organization that an be targeted for its home?

Who owns it now? Can someone witha low-boy just sidle up and grab it? I grew up in Schenectady, and remember where the quarry is...but is it in business?

Dave

#83593  by SRS125

The Quarry is most likley still runing as long as they keep renewing there mineing permit. The rails are no longer there. Most if not all stone quarrys have loads of old Junk laying around.

I recall many pices of ventage equipment dating to the late 1890's well into the late 1970's still siting in the concrete/quarry that I worked at back in June 1999-October 2000. I also recall going into the Huge Jamesville Quarry and still seeing Rail going to varous locations with in the quarry its self even thow there no longer connected to anything.

#83649  by O-6-O

Cushing Stone just east of Cranesville,NY on the south side of the Mohawk
River/ Barge Canal. Route 5s goes right in front of the quarry to the south,
the WS row is right along the road on the north. Their tearing out the main
but when I was there on Dec 5 the spur to the quarry was still intact. This
I believe would facilitate moving the critter down to the road for truck
loading there. If I could be of assistance to anyone in a recovery or
preservation effort please contact me by e-main here and I wil help if I
can.

STEAM ON
/--OOO-;-oo--oo-

#84856  by Trackmobile

The site above states that a Model 40 was last spotted at EMD`s plant in Illinois.Is it still there?