Railroad Forums 

• Current status of locomotives

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #879325  by mirrodie

lirr415 wrote: 4 SW1001s, 100-102-103-104-107;

Those things are valuable, as last night when the MU broke on Montauk 2 in Rockville Centre, guess what was caled from Holban, a mighty MP15AC!

4 or 5 sw1001s?

Also, the MU rescue at RVC. Warrants photos!!!
 #879338  by SwingMan

mirrodie wrote:
lirr415 wrote: 4 SW1001s, 100-102-103-104-107;

Those things are valuable, as last night when the MU broke on Montauk 2 in Rockville Centre, guess what was caled from Holban, a mighty MP15AC!

4 or 5 sw1001s?

Also, the MU rescue at RVC. Warrants photos!!!
Oops, 5 SW1001s. My bad
Unfortunitly, I do not have photos of the incident last night. I believe there are some photos of the MP15s pulling M7s a couple years back in a blizzard.
 #879547  by mirrodie

No worries.

you know, while I have the diesel ears, anyone know if NJTransit or Metro North is still using any diesel power? I last rode the MNRR 10 years ago to NEwHaven and recall switching to a diesel.
 #879660  by SwingMan

mirrodie wrote:No worries.

you know, while I have the diesel ears, anyone know if NJTransit or Metro North is still using any diesel power? I last rode the MNRR 10 years ago to NEwHaven and recall switching to a diesel.

MN now has GE P32ACDM for service into GCT, which is GE's equivilant to LIRR's DM30AC.
A few years ago they finally phased out their FL9ACs, which were replaced by Brookville BL20s.

NJT/MN on the west side of the Hudson includes all kinds of power. GP40s, F40s, P40DCs,PL42s, etc. NJT is also working on getting some dual mode catenary capable locomotives as well.
So yes, both MN and NJT have TONS of diesel equipment still.
 #881798  by MrGP10

Since the 9321? was transfered to another railroad I forgot which one and 9373 being O/S, will the NYAR purchase 2 replacements engines? If so where from?
 #882041  by Teutobergerwald

There's an NYA GP38-2, I believe the 271, at Morris Park, spotted on one of the ready tracks next to Atlantic Ave., cab facing west, as of 1500 today. What's she over there for? Thanks.
 #890321  by RRChef

There's a rumor that new power is on the way in the form of a genset and a mother-slug for use in Fresh Pond. Can anyone confirm this?
 #896747  by RRChef

As it turns out, it's not new power but re-powering 2 engines. Grants have been applied for by NYC, with matching money from Waste Management and CSX. It has the support of all the local politicians. One engine to be converted into a genset and one into a mother-slug. Don't expect to see them anytime soon, could be as long as a year before grants are approved and the work done.
 #917933  by KEN PATRICK

does anybody have a current roster?
what is this about waste mgmt & csx involvement? state grants? ny&a contract has them spending $14.4. million in capital in order to renew. given that, there is no legal way for any state/third-party joint-repowering to occur.
could waste mgmt & csx be providing power as insurance for their traffic?

reading the posts leads me to conclude that ny&a is undercapitalized. am i wrong?

ken patrick
 #918138  by freightguy

I think that is one of the breaks NYA has is the lease of LIRR power. I think they get leased for something like 100 a day not sure if that is correct figure. I'm suprised with the city's Green initiatives new power hasn't come into play sooner. The extensive trackage in Brooklyn and Queens with thousands of carloads from NYAR should warrant some cleaner power. They wouldn't have to be speed controlled units and never have to leave either borough. Kind of like CSX got the Genests in the Bronx. Even one would make a difference....
 #918658  by SR4501

nya gp38-2 #261 is currently in the shop and just about finished with a new coat of paint. she has been re-painted in to her old NYA livery, with the exception the cab roof was painted white. she was to have been repainted into the current nya livery over the summer. so technically this could be called a nya "heritage unit"
 #918962  by mainline

With the 261 having a patched paint job I'll take it. They still didn't finish the 268 a little short on the white striping. Any idea when the 155 will be painted? The SW1001's ?
 #919118  by KEN PATRICK

THE NYA/LIRR CONTRACT:
1000HP $466/DAY; 1500 HP $673/DAY; 2000 HP $724/DAY. SO ON A 242 DAY YEAR, THE 3- SW1001 COST $338.3K, THE 4 MP 1500AC COST $651.5K AND 4 GP 38 2 COST $700.8. total $1690.8 year for 11 units that rent today $120-$150 and buy for $1.8mil -$2.5 mil.
more importantly, at 3hp per trailing ton, i calculate ny&a will need 12000hp per brt 30 car 4000 ton move. so 4-gp38-2 and 3 mp15ac would be needed- 64% of their fleet- a fleet that's 40 years old.
i don't think it reasonable that the current roster can support an additional 5000 loads/year move. i believe they use a lirr maintenance shop which probably is ill-equipped to support freight power.
i'm thinking they need an additional 10000 fairly new hp. ken patrick