Railroad Forums 

• Current status of CSX "Yellow Tie Program"

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#81595  by roadster

what snow we had has melted, so it's seems to be working at this time. Also helps to keep them brakes warm in this cold weather too.

#81806  by CSX Conductor

roadster wrote:Also helps to keep them brakes warm in this cold weather too.

Yes Roadster, I remember that brakes need to be conditioned more frequently during ice & snow........afterall I do work on aline with some big hills, un-like you. LOL :P
 #81828  by O-6-O

CSX Conductor wrote:Just curious as to how CSX's "Yellow Tie Program" is working out now that there is a foot of snow on the ground.

:P
Just what is the Yellow Tie Program ? I know what yellow snow is. Thanks

STEAM ON
/--OOO--;--oo--oo-

#81962  by roadster

The yellow tie program was instituted by CSX a little over a year ago where a specific tie at the clearance points of handthrow switches in yards and industrial tracks are painted yellow. Engineers are required to stop prior to this point to check and verify that the switch is properly lined for their route to prevent runthrough switches and possible derailments.

#87827  by SRS125

is CSX still doing anything with there White Tie progam? The white ties that mark the colvert pipes and outher points along the main line warning the train crews of possable locations where someone could slip and fall into a ditch.

#88071  by CSX Conductor

The most I have seen to warn of hazardous walking areas is in General Bulletins.

#88134  by roadster

I've noticed about once a year, usually in the spring the white ties have been given a fresh slap of paint to keep them visible.

#89072  by kwf

This may belong in another forum, but I've seen Ties with white/blue and and yellow/blue stripes. I've assumed that this indicates something signal related, but it is not always that obvious. Any insight?
 #89445  by paulrail

I believe these ties mark certain weed spraying control areas. They indicate where and how much, if any, herbacides can be sprayed to control weed growth.

My friend Tom, who is track foreman on the MBTA's Kingston/Plymouth Line, has had to go out and "touch-up" these special area marking ties for the contractor doing the spraying.

Paul
 #89879  by pharmerphil54

Paulrail is pretty correct on his answer, those paint marks occur before and after culverts and bridges to signal the weed sprayer to cease spraying. I dont know if its done by the operator or if the sprayer has an optical sensor.