Railroad Forums 

• Current PAR/PAS Train Symbols

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1301665  by KSmitty

BAWA/WABA replaced WASJ/SJWA or WANM/NMWA flavor of the week.
 #1301689  by riffian

Is this a daily train, or thrice weekly??
 #1301696  by KSmitty

Supposed to be daily, but that is of course subject to change. Also, no schedule somedays could look like 2 trains if something got out late, others might have no trains, etc...
I'd say 7 each way each week, but that doesn't mean every day. I'd not be surprised if Dec.2 they start running a 4/5 days a week east of Waterville. The buck is a bout 1/3 of their NMJ traffic (from rough counts) so theoretically following the closing of Bucksport they could reduce trains by a third.
 #1457827  by Plate C

Searched and found this thread, hoping someone in the know will update it to 2018 so we'll know what we can find canned on a day/time :wink:
 #1458399  by PBMcGinnis

Well, a few things have changed
1) no more coal trains to Bow, NH since Fall 2016

Symbols - they are mix of NS and Pan Am symbols depending on where you are.
This covers Mechanicville to Ayer trains you might see...

Between Mechanicville and Ayer
14R - NS freight from Enola/Binghamton to East Deerfield
11R - westbound of above
28N - Autos from Mechanicville to Ayer with stop in Gardner
287 - westbound of above
22K - intermodal from Mechanicville to Ayer
23K - westbound intermodal Ayer to Mechanicville
I2K - 2nd section of 22K as needed
I3K - 2nd section of 23K as needed
RJED - CSX connection at Rotterdam Jct to East Deerfield
EDRJ - westbound CSX connection
AD-1 - East Deerfield to North Adams and Return Local
BF-1 -Bellows Falls local
EDBF/BFED - East Deerfield to Bellows Falls, VT to VTR connection, sometimes runs exclusively as Slurry Unit Train
EDPL/PLED - Trains from East Deerfield to Plainville, CT and return
EDPO/POED - East Deerfield to Portland and vice versa
ED-8 - East Deerfield to Gardner, Fitchburg and Ayer
ED-9 reverse direction of ED-8
SEPO / Q426 CSX connection from Worcester to Portland via Ayer
POSE / Q427 westbound CSX connection via Worcester
 #1458418  by KSmitty

East End is a little different than it was when the 'Keag line was closed up. Train numbers have also fallen a little as various mills close up or at the least reduce output.

WAMA - Waterville to 'Keag manifest works M-F.
MAWA - 'Keag to Waterville manifest works M-F.
NM-1 - Bangor area based switcher, not sure where exactly their on duty point is, used to be Old Town, might be NMJ proper now. Works Bucksport branch, the NMJ area businesses and Detroit.
SAPPI-3/4 - Sappi Turn running mill-Waterville-mill still runs 7/week.
Not sure what they have for Waterville switchers, at least 2 or 3. All those are symbol'd "WA-#."
WAPO - Waterville to Rigby manifest.
POWA - Rigby to Waterville manifest. These do double duty hauling the water, and may masquerade as WAAY/AYWA 2-3 times a week. But both POWA/WAPO are running 7/week under various symbols.
PORU - Rigby to Rumford manifest.
RUPO - Rumford to Rigby manifest. This pair works up one day back the next. A lot less activity now that Jay is shipping so little. Used to be a reliable 5/week operation.
DJ-1 - Danville Junction switcher.
Various PO-# switchers, which cover territory from Brunswick to Westbrook to the north of the yard, as well as the yard, Turners Island, Portland local stuff. I know they have at least 8 various PO-# crews.
 #1458582  by gokeefe

Also I'm pretty sure that DOBO and BODO are running to/from the Boston Sand & Gravel plant ...
 #1458583  by johnpbarlow

Plate C wrote:Thank you both kindly. PBMcGinnis- doesn't NS take freight to Gardner, maybe for P&W? Not sure if I missed that in there.
Either EDPO or ED-8 will bring carload freight to P&W interchange at Gardner (28N brings the Davisville-bound rack).