Railroad Forums 

• Cuba and "Ivan the Terrible"

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

#52078  by george matthews

Before the hurricane reaches Florida it is going to pass over western Cuba. I wonder how it will affect Cuban trains? The classic Inter-urban may be vulnerable in its overhead line equipment.

I gather there is now no operating railway on Jamaica.

#52300  by David Benton

lets hope both railways and everything else escapes serious damage .
It seems reasonable to conclude that serious damage to any rail infrastructure would mean the end of that service .
Perhaps this what happened in jamacia .

#52302  by george matthews

David Benton wrote:lets hope both railways and everything else escapes serious damage .
It seems reasonable to conclude that serious damage to any rail infrastructure would mean the end of that service .
Perhaps this what happened in jamacia .
The Jamaica railway closed some years ago. I think I have seen reports that the track is still there. I shouldn't think there is much chance of it reopening.

#52363  by Sir Ray

george matthews wrote: The Jamaica railway closed some years ago. I think I have seen reports that the track is still there. I shouldn't think there is much chance of it reopening.
I found some pages on Jamaica Railway history, and pulled out the parts on recent history:
By the 1970s, the railway extended for 333 km (224 1/4 miles) with the principal connections being Kingston and Montego Bay in the north-west, and Kingston and Port Antonio in the north-east, with a junction at Spanish Town.
Having run for over 150 years, the railway ceased operation in 1992 except for sections on which bauxite is drawn.
Today, the Government is conducting discussions with a team from the Rail India Technical and Economic Service (RITES) regarding the long-delayed resumption of the national rail services. The first phase, commuter services, between Kingston and Spanish Town then Kingston to Linstead, was expected to be up and running by January 2001 but there have been delays. The initial investment required for the first phase is set at US$8 million. The Government is said to be considering an initial 40 per cent shareholding, to be used for improving infrastructure, loading stock and the purchase of new trains.

#52422  by David Benton

Thats interesting Sir Ray .
the Indian Team is the same one that recomended closing the railways in Fiji .

it would be good to see rail services resume in Jamacia .

By the way , there is some discussion on Cuba in the rail travel forum .

#52866  by David Benton

Looks like Cuba has been spared from widespread damage , lets hope the USA is also not badly affected by this hurricane .

#262856  by NIMBYkiller

Any change in the status of Jamaican rail?