Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1569477  by dha10001

Some updates on the Enfield platform:

Journal Enquirer article with images, by Adam Hushin (text behind paywall)
https://www.journalinquirer.com/towns/e ... 22d72.html

Enfield Town Council Meeting Minutes
Presentation by DOT on platform proposal
https://enfield-ct.gov/AgendaCenter/Vie ... 52021-4270

DOT is planning to build a single platform on the east side of the tracks wit a partially covered waiting area. According to DOT, the platform is on track for fall 2023 completion, which puts it on a similar timeline as the Windsor Locks platform. All in all, things are looking good for the north end of the Hartford Line.
 #1569493  by njtmnrrbuff

That's great news, indeed, for those who live in Enfield and the surrounding towns on the east bank of the Connecticut River closest to where the Springfield Line runs, especially when heading south. If there is still going to be double track through this spot, then I would probably want to see the second platform get built. A 200 feet long platform might not be long enough especially when we are talking about a three or more car train with all of the doors opening up. At least, it's good that Enfield will be getting a train station.
 #1569676  by russellsal8

I noticed the article says that the platform will be built on the EAST side of the track. According to the Satellite view, it looks like the second trackway is east of the current track. Hopefully, they won't be building the platform directly on top of the current track way. This would impede the construction of a second track and second platform in the future. Even if these aren't needed at the present time, it would behoove CTDOT to construct this station in a way so that building a second track/platform wouldn't be impeded.
 #1569687  by Rockingham Racer

I'm not familiar with the railroad thru the area. Is it one tracks, or two? If two, this is not a great plan, as a single platform can lead to delays of trains if they are off schedule.
 #1569696  by Ridgefielder

Rockingham Racer wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:32 am I'm not familiar with the railroad thru the area. Is it one tracks, or two? If two, this is not a great plan, as a single platform can lead to delays of trains if they are off schedule.
Single-track at present, but I believe it's a 3-track ROW through here.
 #1569742  by dgvrengineer

They must have built a new bridge over Main St in Enfield where the new station is going since the double track was removed as the current bridge appears to be single track only. Any double tracking in this area would require a new bridge.
 #1599077  by JcPinCT

Designs will be completed in the summer of 2023, with plans to go out to bid for the project that fall, Garrett Eucalitto, deputy commissioner of the Department of Transportation, said at an announcement of the project Thursday.

“Construction should start in early of 2024,” Eucalitto said. “ConnDOT’s been working on the design in the hope we will get the federal funds and be ready to go with construction starting in about a year and a half after that.”

https://www.ctinsider.com/hartford/arti ... 215974.php
 #1599090  by Kilo Echo

On Thursday, the Connecticut Department of Transportation received (up to) $13,860,000 in federal funding for Enfield Station and Track Improvements:

The proposed project will conduct environmental review, preliminary engineering, final design, and construction of a new station to accommodate increased service as part of the New Haven-Hartford-Springfield Rail Program and improve under bridge clearance in Enfield, Connecticut. Specific improvements will include a 500-ft level boarding platform, a utility building with waiting area, and station parking. Track and signal work are needed to support the platform, and the clearance will be improved by raising the bridge and lowering the road. Connecticut DOT will provide a 50 percent match, and the project also includes additional Federal funds from FTA.

Source: Consolidated Rail Infrastructure and Safety Improvements (CRISI) Program: FY2021 Selections
 #1599095  by Train322

Is it possible to have a center platform for when the second track is added? (similar to the Harlem line)?
Not sure how much room exists.
Would they have elevators and stairs like the three southern stations or would it be more like Windsor?
 #1599157  by daybeers

I truly don't know why it'll take so long to design and construct a single platform, waiting room, and some parking. It's not even for two tracks!!! UGHHH
 #1599189  by RandallW

daybeers wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 2:59 pm I truly don't know why it'll take so long to design and construct a single platform, waiting room, and some parking. It's not even for two tracks!!! UGHHH
Letting the design and build contracts is probably the longest single step in the process.
 #1601055  by Jeff Smith

Moving right along:
https://www.ctinsider.com/hartford/arti ... 215974.php

Designs will be completed in the summer of 2023, with plans to go out to bid for the project that fall, Garrett Eucalitto, deputy commissioner of the Department of Transportation, said at an announcement of the project Thursday.

“Construction should start in early of 2024,” Eucalitto said. “ConnDOT’s been working on the design in the hope we will get the federal funds and be ready to go with construction starting in about a year and a half after that.”
 #1629917  by Jeff Smith

https://www.courant.com/2023/09/24/ther ... -in-on-it/
The Connecticut Department of Transportation will hold a “hybrid” public information meeting on the proposed Railroad Station in Enfield at 6 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 4, at Enfield Town Hall, 820 Enfield St., and on Zoom and YouTube, according to the agency.

“The virtual public information meeting is being held to provide the public and local community the opportunity to offer comments or ask questions regarding the proposed project,” the agency said in a statement.
 #1630117  by NH2060

I think less time was spent planning and constructing the “temporary” Northampton and Greenfield stations…

I seriously don’t understand why they can’t just plant a small ADA platform without a parking lot (maybe at most construct a simple “Kiss-N-Ride”) to at the very least serve potential riders within walking distance of the station site in order to gauge ridership and then build out the permanent station later on. I’ve always believed that Niantic would benefit from a similar arrangement given how relatively populated the downtown and surrounding residential areas are.
 #1630158  by shadyjay

Unfortunately, we have to study everything to death to realize that we need a station, then spend 5 years to design said station, then put it out to bid, then give it another 2+ years for construction.

Oh, how I long for the days when SLE service began. It was rag-tag, yes, with practically gravel parking lots and wooden low level platforms and bus shelters. But it was completely functional and served well for several years. Granted, this was long before the ADA became a thing.

What kills me, though, is that the new Windsor Locks station is being built with only one platform and adjacent crossings are being designed for only one track. Eventually this area will be double-tracked... why not prep for it now? Build the crossings for 2 tracks (rail can go in the pavement at the crossing and maybe extend a few feet so that when double track comes we don't need to dig it all up). Maybe put the footings in to support the "up and over" elevator/stairs/etc.

And at Enfield, since a station would most likely be on the east side of the tracks (near the original station site), hopefully they don't pull a "Ballardvale" and construct the new platform for the station on the right of way of the future #2/Northbound track!

And then we'll have another 10 years of studying/planning before North Haven gets its station back.

I remember when NH/H/S rail was first announced, and they touted "3 new station". These 3 new stations were substantial upgrades to the existing Wallingford, Meriden, and Berlin stations. Granted, Wally was relocated north of town, but service could have sufficed with the existing low level platforms in the interim. Amtrak had been using low levels at these stations since 1971, and PC/NH for decades prior. Windsor Locks currently continues to utilize a low level.