Railroad Forums 

• CTC Single tracking of B&M and Maine Central Main Lines?

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1322571  by gokeefe

The ABS signals on the Lower Road are completely derelict and in some cases have been vandalized for scrap copper. The automatic crossing signals are likewise damaged or in questionable condition at best. The rebuilt crossing on Route 24 is the only one that I am aware of which has power to the signal box and would (theoretically) be in working condition.
 #1322575  by 690

Watchman318 wrote:It's been a long time since I heard any rumors of a potential freight customer over that way.
Only potential customer I can think of would be Pine State, and Pan Am would have to be pretty reliable about getting stuff there on time. There might be one or two others, but nothing that would bring in a huge volume of online traffic.
 #1322578  by KSmitty

Watchman318 wrote:Maine Eastern last operated on the Brunswick-Augusta section in 2008, maybe earlier, for a special excursion. I believe they declared that section out-of-service on a bulletin order awhile back.
B&ML also ran an operation from Hallowell to Richmond. Was a 1 year deal, maybe 2006ish? with the RDC. Pretty ride at the time.

There is a section OOS in Augusta, immediately west of the Kennebec River bridge to the old Augusta Train Station location. The city covered the iron with gravel and uses it as parking now. At least a single track is still in place, but is completely covered.
 #1322580  by 690

KSmitty wrote:
Watchman318 wrote:Maine Eastern last operated on the Brunswick-Augusta section in 2008, maybe earlier, for a special excursion. I believe they declared that section out-of-service on a bulletin order awhile back.
B&ML also ran an operation from Hallowell to Richmond. Was a 1 year deal, maybe 2006ish? with the RDC. Pretty ride at the time.

There is a section OOS in Augusta, immediately west of the Kennebec River bridge to the old Augusta Train Station location. The city covered the iron with gravel and uses it as parking now. At least a single track is still in place, but is completely covered.
Just the single track. From what I understand, there were tarps or something of the sort put down first, then the gravel was dumped on top of it, to facilitate easier removal, but after a decade and a half, who knows what condition that's in.
 #1322591  by MEC407

I've heard 48 hours from some sources and 30 days from other sources.
 #1322593  by KSmitty

Either way, wouldn't be a big deal to a railroad. If the lower road were to be restored, 30 days to pull up some gravel is hardly going to be the biggest hurdle.

I do wonder if someday, post-Mellon ownership, the next owner will see value in the line? It might be "operated" by MERR, but surely that would be negotiable if the likes of Irving or NS said they wanted to run trains daily.
 #1322594  by 690

Out of the three major former MEC lines the state bought, it is by far the most viable to be used again for freight traffic (and passenger, for that matter). And unless something changed, Guilford (Pan Am) retained the rights to operate freight traffic over that line as part of the sale to the state. If I'm remembering correctly, MERR would only be doing local traffic, which Pan Am didn't retain the rights to (iirc, anyway). So in the case Pan Am did get bought by NS, or Irving, or whoever else, those rights should transfer to the new owner as well. Whether they do anything with it is something else, but it's there, and it's in relatively decent shape, since the MDOT does do some work on it.
 #1322596  by Watchman318

gokeefe wrote:The rebuilt crossing on Route 24 is the only one that I am aware of which has power to the signal box and would (theoretically) be in working condition.
It was probably at least three years ago that I was told they were still keeping the batteries charged, so that might well have changed. (Don't lead-acid batteries have to either be kept charged or moved to a place where they won't freeze so Bad Stuff doesn't happen?) But somehow I don't think those crossings had to have quarterly (FRA required) inspections, possibly being exempt because of the OOS status.
Somebody did swipe a ground wire off the meter pole for the one at Rt. 24/River Rd. ("Harward's") before that installation was complete. :-(
690 wrote:
Watchman318 wrote:It's been a long time since I heard any rumors of a potential freight customer over that way.
Only potential customer I can think of would be Pine State.
Googling "Pine State Distributors," the map shows two "Pine State Trading" over near the interstate, and a "Pine State Beverage Co. CLOSED" on State St./Rt. 27. That's the one Maine Coast used to service all those years ago. I think I was looking at the right place with Street View just now, but couldn't see any signage for the facility.
The former AG still looks unoccupied, too.
MEC407 wrote:I've heard 48 hours from some sources and 30 days from other sources.
I think 690's right. Seems I've heard 48 hours in regard to restoring an unused drawbridge to operation upon notice from the Coast Guard. The Lower Road didn't have any movable bridges, at least not anywhere near Augusta, right? (It might be closer to the 30-day thing to crank up most of the drawbridges on a certain other line attached to the Lower Road.)
 #1322597  by gokeefe

690 wrote:Whether they do anything with it is something else, but it's there, and it's in relatively decent shape, since the MDOT does do some work on it.
I would strongly agree with the categorization that the tracks are in decent shape. ("relatively") Although the current track structure is not the 115 RE CWR found elsewhere on the Freight Main Line ("Back Road") the grade, subgrade and drainage are in decent shape thanks in large part to the spray program funded by MDOT and occasional light trackwork.

The signals, both train and crossing are of course a mess, but overall the line is very viable and could be reactivated with minimal effort and little if any earthwork.
 #1322598  by CN9634

gokeefe wrote:
690 wrote:Whether they do anything with it is something else, but it's there, and it's in relatively decent shape, since the MDOT does do some work on it.
I would strongly agree with the categorization that the tracks are in decent shape. ("relatively") Although the current track structure is not the 115 RE CWR found elsewhere on the Freight Main Line ("Back Road") the grade, subgrade and drainage are in decent shape thanks in large part to the spray program funded by MDOT and occasional light trackwork.

The signals, both train and crossing are of course a mess, but overall the line is very viable and could be reactivated with minimal effort and little if any earthwork.
I believe that MEC did install some sections of 115LB rail up on this line prior to GTI buyout. Also, the SoM did some substantial trackwork in Augusta proper a few years ago I believe has maybe been used once.
 #1322599  by Watchman318

I don't recall what the transit time was, Brunswick-Hallowell and back in 2007 or whenever that MRG Inc./470 Club trip was, but I don't think they had to "creep" too much. It was at least good enough for a passenger train then, even a slow one, although time and Mother Nature may have been unkind to it since. (As they are to most things and beings.) ;-)
 #1322600  by gokeefe

[quote="Watchman318"]I don't recall what the transit time was, Brunswick-Hallowell and back in 2007 or whenever that MRG Inc./470 Club trip was, but I don't think they had to "creep" too much. It was at least good enough for a passenger train then, even a slow one, although time and Mother Nature may have been unkind to it since. (As they are to most things and beings.) ;-)[/quote

I was on that trip and as I recall it was under two hours. Regardless, although acceptable for excursion service I don't think it would be acceptable for scheduled public transit service.