Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1237359  by DutchRailnut

and were is that contractor gone go ?? without MN, the CDOT part stops at Stateline and MN is under no obligation to let other carrier run on its tracks or into GCT.
besides track, by contract they would still need to use MN dispatching, and T & E crews, lets see how that works ;-)
 #1237475  by Clean Cab

That's all the riders would need. For some cost cutting bargain basement operator to get the franchise. Just look how well that's worked in Boston!!!
 #1237839  by tahawus84

The article claims people are getting scared to ride MN. Give me a break! What is wrong with people now? I bet some of them are at more risk of injury driving their cars. This is another feel good news story to help these idiot politicians win vote and make the public think something is being done. Not to mention wasting millions of dollars. It is a railroad do they really think nothing will ever go wrong?
 #1237951  by MACTRAXX

Everyone: As Dutch mentions if CDOT were to actually take over direct operation of the Connecticut portion of the New Haven Lines they would
still have to deal directly with MNCR to have their trains access GCT and use the NYS owned portion of the route...

I agree that CDOT probably does not have the ability to operate these trains directly without contract and for that mention that these CT politicians
are saying that riders are becoming in fear of MNCR I find it as others here do thinking "You have GOT to be kidding me"...

As was mentioned in the Spuyten Duyvil derailment topic I also agree with the thought of MNCR's "Good 30th Birthday Feelings" after the GCT 100 Birthday
and the Parade of Trains ending along with June's Bridgeport mishap seeing what was to come later in 2013...It went from memorable in a good way to a
year that MNCR would like to forget...

MACTRAXX
 #1238451  by patcat88

So what exactly did CDOT buy in Penn Central bankruptcy? What does CSX and P&W own from PC/NYNHH?

AFAIK, CT inherited the NYNHH trackage rights to GCT. The legal agreement for MN partnership included provisions to be undone. The Fordham no NY passengers rule is part of the trackage rights. Another question is, does CDOT have trackage rights into NYP over Amtrak (but that would also involve New Rochelle to Port Chester MTA tracks), or would CDOT have to lease one of Amtrak's 2 TPH slots on MTA/NYS tracks to get to NYP assuming CDOT ends GCT service? How would MTA/NYS turn trains at Port Chester?

On the other hand, if CDOT to NYC commuter service begins, the chances of bar cars increases drastically since they will never stop at NYS/MTA stations. If Amtrak takes over CDOT to NYC, how would the existing MN pool be split up and what new interesting equipment would appear (rebuilt with automatic doors maferesas to NYP on a amtrak electric loco?)
 #1238512  by truck6018

patcat88 wrote:......how would the existing MN pool be split up and what new interesting equipment would appear (rebuilt with automatic doors maferesas to NYP on a amtrak electric loco?)
Let's not forget about maintenance and repair. It's not uncommon to see red at Harmon and Highbridge.
 #1238611  by Clean Cab

CDOT does not have enough engines, coaches, dispatchers, track workers/track machines, power dept linemen, C&S personnel, mechanics, mechanical shops to even consider running their own railroad. And that's just a short list!! I won't even get into track use fees, and having to create their own roster of train crews. CDOT has reaped the benefits of MN crews, personnel and equipment maintaining every inch of track and every piece of equipment they've ever used for 30 years. The idea of CDOT either starting their own railroad or subcontracting the work to some cost cutting low bidder is just laughable. The problems plaguing the New Haven Line are not the fault of the unions or MN. The blame for the condition of service on the New Haven Line can be laid at doorstep of the politicians in Hartford, not the board room of the MTA.
Last edited by Clean Cab on Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1238638  by NH2060

Clean Cab wrote:The blame for the condition of service on the New Haven Line can be laid at doorstep of the politicians in Hartford, not the board room of the MTA.
Aka the same people who either supported or refused to stop that boondoggle of a busway. You know, priorities ;-)