Railroad Forums 

• CSXT in Florida...

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#253773  by JJMDiMunno

Hi guys,
Recently moved from NJ to Florida, and am looking for a good map of the CSX system down here in Orlando, FL. Hoping to get out this weekend to check things out, so looking for that map to help me figure out which line is what around here...

I think I've got all the radio freqs figured out...but a map would really help me determine which signals are where, etc...

If anyone has a CSXT ETT for down this way, that would be great...I don't even know what division this stuff is. Hearing lots of radio traffic, but I don't know where any of it is. Reminds me of what it was like in Jersey when I was first getting used to things...

Any help would be appreciated guys...

Mike DiMunno
www.SJRail.com

#253906  by Noel Weaver

I am not an expert on that part of Florida although from what I have heard
I do not think there is too much freight traffic on the former ACL line
through Orlando. Crazy Nip probably is the best source of information on
the Orlando and Tampa areas.
There are probably one or two through freight trains each way plus the
two Amtrak trains enroute to and from Jacksonville and south Florida.
To your east the Florida East Coast is quite active although more runs at
night, you should see a little bit of traffic in the day time too. They run
around 12 trains each way plus locals and extras Monday through Friday
and somewhat less on Saturday and Sunday.
Radio frequencies CSX - 160.59 (32) and 161.10 (66)
Florida East Coast - 160.53 (28) and 160.77 (44)

CSX trains call the signals on the radio while Florida East Coast has a
modern cab signal and train control system and the crews do not call the
signals.
Hope this is helpful.
Noel Weaver

#253911  by crazy_nip

A-Line through downtown orlando

runs to tampa to the west and jacksonville to the north

taft yard south of downtown orlando is the major yard, although to call it major would be a stretch

sanford yard to the north (in sanford, fl), is a little yard now

you get unit coal trains, some grain, a handfull of intermodals in the evenings, a mixed freight or 2 and 2 amtrak's each way

also the florida central railroad operates some ex-csx trackage in the area, not sure about their schedules

if you ask me, orlando is a bust for railfanning, but if you live there, I guess its the best you can do

last time I was through there, they were re-signaling the double track ABS between SEDT (a couple miles south of the amtrak station) and NEDT north of winter park to make it a 2 main track ctc setup, which honestly they should have done in the 50's

I live in tampa, which gets more freight, so maybe I am biased

If you want big action, head north to jacksonville

#253985  by roberttosh

Far from an expert myself, but am thinking there's more like 8-10 road freights (i.e. Coal, Intermodal, etc) through Orlando during a 24 hr period. North of Jacksonville where the 2 mains come together, there's something like 40+ trains per day. Spent a few hrs at Folkston, GA (just past the FL border) last year and saw one train during the first couple hours then saw about 6 or 7 in the next 40 minutes. Definately a good spot with all kinds of trains (Coal, grain, Auto, double stack, acid, etc).

#253997  by JJMDiMunno

crazy_nip wrote: if you ask me, orlando is a bust for railfanning, but if you live there, I guess its the best you can do
Ah I used to live in South Jersey, where we get 1 local a day on most lines. I'm used to waiting 5 hours on some days for a single train that may not show up at all. This should be alright...

Thanks for the info guys...I utilized the resources of the bullsheet to get me some "schedules" (does CSX know the meaning of that word?). Will be heading out some day soon to see what I can get...

Thanks for the info guys.

Mike DiMunno
 #254363  by Ocala Mike

I don't usually like to post links, but this story is spot on this topic:

http://www.ocala.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti ... 70354/1025

Evidently, CSX is going to switch much of its freight operations to the "S" line through Ocala to the detriment of the "A" line through Orlando, over which commuter passenger service is in the planning stages. Lots of Ocala nimbys are upset because we have some grade crossings that really need to be eliminated.

Ocala Mike

#254365  by crazy_nip

they did quite a bit of grade separation there in the 80's...

its quite evident by all the overpasses on 27, 200, 301/441, etc

whats pretty funny is if you take 441 north, there is still an overpass where 441 crossed over the ACL line from gainesville to ocala, just past where 441 and 301 split, just north

plant city is ok, but just hanging out at the mouth of yeoman yard at 78th street is better in my opinion, you can swing over and get the couple of a-line freights if you want to up orient, and see all the bone valley trains come through the bypass

jacksonville is worth a trip if you have not been there, get a map and be aware of your surroundings, there is plenty of ghetto

#254480  by Noel Weaver

This is interesting stuff but I suggest that rather than risk your well being
in Jacksonville, you stay on the highway and head for Folkston, Georgia.
There is good train watching facilities on both sides of the tracks and you
will be welcomed. The area is maintained, clean, safe and interesting.
Best train watching spot in the southeast and probably fairly decent for
pictures too. The people are friendly and so are the police. Facilites in the
area and food is very close by, one block away is a decent restaurant.
I would much sooner go here than to risk my life in Jacksonville and drive
all over the place to find a decent spot.
Noel Weaver

#254502  by JJMDiMunno

Noel Weaver wrote:This is interesting stuff but I suggest that rather than risk your well being
in Jacksonville, you stay on the highway and head for Folkston, Georgia.
There is good train watching facilities on both sides of the tracks and you
will be welcomed. The area is maintained, clean, safe and interesting.
Best train watching spot in the southeast and probably fairly decent for
pictures too. The people are friendly and so are the police. Facilites in the
area and food is very close by, one block away is a decent restaurant.
I would much sooner go here than to risk my life in Jacksonville and drive
all over the place to find a decent spot.
Noel Weaver
Many thanks guys...I'll keep all this in mind for the future. I did manage to find my way to Orlando's Amtrak station today and caught a pair of Amtrak trains (the star or meteor, don't know which, maybe both) and a pair of road freights...not bad for 2 hours...

That's more than I got in 2 days in South Jersey...

Thanks a lot guys for the help.

Mike DiMunno
www.SJRail.com

#254567  by chuchubob

JJMDiMunno wrote:
Many thanks guys...I'll keep all this in mind for the future. I did manage to find my way to Orlando's Amtrak station today and caught a pair of Amtrak trains (the star or meteor, don't know which, maybe both) and a pair of road freights...not bad for 2 hours...

That's more than I got in 2 days in South Jersey...

Thanks a lot guys for the help.

Mike DiMunno
www.SJRail.com
You'd be hard pressed to catch two Amtrak trains in South Jersey, Mike. :)

I guess you railfanned the wrong part of South Jersey for freights.
http://chuchubob.rrpicturearchives.net/ ... ?id=395200
http://chuchubob.rrpicturearchives.net/ ... ?id=395220
http://chuchubob.rrpicturearchives.net/ ... ?id=395221
http://chuchubob.rrpicturearchives.net/ ... ?id=395231

Bob

#254636  by JJMDiMunno

Ah, Bob appears on CSX :)

I still do love South Jersey...it's sort of railroading on the quieter side. And I'll still always be the South Jersey Railroad Man, no matter how long I'm here in Orlando...

It's just that to go from the land of 30MPH max speed locals to 60MPH road freights is kinda interesting...well nothing's moving at 60MPH here now thanks to CSX speed restrictions, but it should under normal circumstances...

Take care guys.

Mike DiMunno

#254854  by Cowford

As a former resident of JAX, I think the safety issue re the area is a bit overblown- at least from a personal safety standpoint- but not from a robbery standpoint. I was ripped off three times while living in a great neighborhood :( ... so definitely take precautions about locking your car, keeping valuables out of sight, etc. in the seedier parts of town. I know of one CSX employee that left his car open while out taking a quick pic and his company laptop disappeared! Would a used CSX laptop count as railroad memorabilia?!?!? :-D

#255018  by crazy_nip

I lived "near" jacksonville (gainesville and lake city) from 1993 to 2001 and worked in the city for most of that time. Outside of work I frequented jacksonville for many reasons other than railfanning. The area around moncrief and west jacksonville yards is downright unsafe. ESPECIALLY at night. The "north side" in general is not the best place to be, but unfortunately that is where the trains are. There are some really nice areas too, but for the most part no rail lines run through them until you get way out by the NAS jax and orange park. They have gone a long way in cleaning up the immediate downtown, but it is still a stone's throw from the ghetto.