Railroad Forums 

• CSX Yardmasters?

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#164727  by NASHVILLE-NEWBIE

Is this a good stepping stone to get into management or does it have to many headaches with the job----for the money???? Anybody have any INFO?

Nashvillie Newbie
 #164777  by CSX Conductor

NASHVILLE-NEWBIE wrote:Is this a good stepping stone to get into management?
Are you in a hurry to get into management?

#164787  by NASHVILLE-NEWBIE

I have been asked if I wanted to attend a upcoming yardmaster class----but I am being told by all the guys in the yard working the boards that you can make almost double what they make-----I don't see the benefits of working in a tower and getting chewed on by every trainmaster or other manager for $40,000 a year------just weighing out my options.

NN

#164804  by CSX Conductor

I would tend to agree with the financial aspect. I'd say stay where you are and get some experience first. Later on if you decide that you don't like being on the ground you might still be able to pursue a yardmaster's posistion. :-)

#173803  by PaintEater

Surely, you aren't trying to take Stanley's job???

#174841  by mmi16

NASHVILLE-NEWBIE wrote:I have been asked if I wanted to attend a upcoming yardmaster class----but I am being told by all the guys in the yard working the boards that you can make almost double what they make-----I don't see the benefits of working in a tower and getting chewed on by every trainmaster or other manager for $40,000 a year------just weighing out my options.

NN
One thing to remember about any position of responsibility.....Someone always believes it could be done better 'THEIR WAY'. However, they were not there to make the decisions at the time the decisions needed to be made so they can go stuff it.

The reality of railroad operations is....if it works, you are a hero....if it doesn't you are a zero. Very rarely will any decision be between black or white....most decisions are based upon varying shades of gray and in that regard you will rarely, if ever, become a hero.