Railroad Forums 

• CSX Worn Switch Point caused Jan 5 Derailment of VRE Train

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#327200  by davinp

CSX is blamed for the derailment of VRE Train #304 on Jan. 5. CSX neglected to replace a excessively worn and chipped switch point, which caused the lead truck of the fourth passenger car to derail

You can read NTSB's report here:

http://www.ntsb.gov/publictn/2006/RAB0606.htm

As you know CSX does a poor job of maintaining it's tracks.

#327245  by pennsy

Hi,

Now that strikes me as very interesting. Let me relate to you a story that happened to me some years ago.

This happened in Pomona, CA, on the Southern Pacific tracks, which are now Union Pacific. It was an interchange and a new U-25B had its rear truck on the ground, right after going through the interchange switch, turnout, trying to pick up some empties. The engineman was fairly young and fairly new to the job and really shaking, thinking that he had just lost his job. The conductor and brakeman were sympathetic, but not having a re-railer available could do nothing more than phone in the problem and await the inspector and the truck with the hook to re-rail the new engine. By the way, a U-25B does look ridiculous with one truck on the ground.

I arrived on the trusty old Schwinn, my chase car, heard the engineman's fears and told them I would try to help and look around. I went to the points of the interchange switch an lo and behold they were worn beyond belief. Pieces from the tops were actually missing. I called over the Conductor and told him that when the Inspector arrives to ask him to Condemn the Switch,, as I pointed to the worn points and ran my fingers over them.

I stuck around until the repair crew showed up, and watched them re-rail the U boat, as the Conductor and the Brakeman spoke to the Inspector. The Engineman was a ball of sweat. Finally, the Inspector takes out a special lock and red tag and attaches them to the bad switch. All proceeded well after that and the Engineman left with his crew all smiling.

#327268  by UPRR engineer

pennsy wrote: I arrived on the trusty old Schwinn, my chase car... and told them I would try to help and look around. .... and told him that when the Inspector arrives to ask him to Condemn the Switch,, as I pointed to the worn points and ran my fingers over them.
Thats too much.....

#327290  by pennsy

Hi UP,

When you chase trains, you need to slow down and observe. The old Schwinn Black Panther (a classic Schwinn Beach Cruiser from 1952) is ideal for this. It is slow enough to allow you to "see" everything as you pass it. And most importantly, you get a chance to see how things really are, should be, and what is in need of repair. By the way, UP was always on top of what needed attention and what needed to be done. SP had the dirtiest engines, most ROW in need of attention, etc. etc. need I go on ? On a bicycle, you see everything, on a car, good luck. And looking out of the cab of an engine, probably just the next signal. Of course, climbing Cajon Pass, you have enough time to tell the difference between Ike and Mike, the two rock outcroppings on either side of old Sullivan's curve.

#327302  by Engineer James

Man, on a bicycle! That must be oine tough bicycle. My train chaser is an old Schwinn Hurricane.... Sucker still flys down the hills.

#327328  by UPRR engineer

Alan..... you cant trespass on railroad property, ride you bike on the right of way roads, roam around the edges of yards, step on the tracks to look at defects. If your not at least 30 to 40 yards from the tracks your in danger. I thought RR.net decided a few months ago that making posts like this made railfans look bad which wasnt good for this place. This is right up there with kids posting about playing hobo.

THE RAILROADS DONT NEED HELP FROM RAILFANS.

#327371  by pennsy

Hi All,

That old Schwinn Hurricane is also worth a lot of money today. Glad to hear that it is still in good running order.

The ROW follows State st. in Pomona at that point. The interchange conveniently was at a grade crossing, and the switch points were within a short distance from the sidewalk. The U-25B had part of its body on the sidewalk. It was not blocking traffic. A short distance further west is where the local residents, at that time, used to cross the tracks to get to St Joseph's cathedral. They would cut across the tracks and a field as a short cut. This was women, children etc. Today that is all fenced off, and UP is in complete control of the area. Metrolink now uses those tracks as well, and essentially the ROW is sealed. The locals are pressing for an overpass with an elevator at either end for the baby carriages etc. Different world now.