Railroad Forums 

• CSX using NY&A units in Oak Point.

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#1409361  by Backshophoss

Only idea is a delivery of the second batch of new units to NY&A instead of "floating" them over from NJ.
or a demonstration run by that loco's manufacturer from Fremont/Fresh Pond.
If memory serves,NJNY flat spotted some engines sent to NY&A a while back.......
 #1409374  by Backshophoss

Wonder if CSX is thinking of selling off the rest of the Bay Ridge Secondary to the MTA/LIRR and letting NY&A make the interchange
location Oak Point??
 #1409375  by wintower

...the train operated O.P. to Fremont with 5 engines, 2 CSX and 3 NY&A which were leading, and
70 cars. Returning with 4 engines, 2CSX which were leading and 2 NY&A, and 60 cars. The 2 NY&A which made the round trip, appeared to be shiny but from my "perch" which is faraway that is not a reliable observation.
 #1409536  by DogBert

I'll bet a nickel csx was short on power. Were the 2 csx engines 4 axles?

If one or more 6 axle had trouble coming down the hudson the night before, that could cram the options available at oak point. Two 4 axles (the usual oak point local power) wouldn't be enough on that run these days.

This wouldn't be the first time this happened. After hurricane Sandy CSX borrowed 3 for a night-time run over the bridge. Extremely rare event though, that's for sure.
 #1409630  by freightguy

Think it had to do with them dropping rail in oak point and logistics and not being able to get around in there. They pulled a knuckle last night 11/20-11/21 and had to leave a train in Beacon outlawed on Metro North.
 #1409644  by ccutler

Outlawing a freight train on a passenger line....not good.
I usually see what appears to be plenty of power in Oak Point Yard, so they must have had a few mishaps if they had to borrow power.
 #1409797  by freightguy

Outlawing a freight train on a passenger line....not good.
I usually see what appears to be plenty of power in Oak Point Yard, so they must have had a few mishaps if they had to borrow power.

Track 3 at Beacon, NY on Metro North is kinda CSX storage home away from home. Doesn't really effect service it's that or Croton West or all the way to Bronx. I think track 6 at Spuyten Duyvil is also a backup plan, but I've never seen a CSX freight in there. Tonight there appeared to be an extra run of all the track equipment on flat cars from Oak Point with some gons for Selkirk I suppose.