Railroad Forums 

• CSX track work near Depew station?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#36201  by SimTrains

Anyone know what is going on with CSX on the chicago line, just past the depew station, heading east? I drove up sheldon ave on my way to work, the gates were down, and everyone was going around, so I finally got up to the gates and all I could see to my left was flashing lights. I assume track work was being done? I would have loved to stop, but I had to get to work.

#36341  by fglk

:(
Last edited by fglk on Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #36414  by marks

They are replacing the rail on the South tracks. I am not sure how many miles but I watched them work Sunday (7/18) from the Ransom road. The old rail is really worn when you see it next to the new. CSXT has been putting alot of effort into this section of line. Last year they replaced alot ties. This year they have replaced the rail plates and now the whole rail. Pretty cool operation to watch, Not sure I want the job though.

#36506  by MarkT

Why is it that they never use concrete ties up this way? With the volume and speed of this line, you'd think it would be a good fit. From what I've read, concrete ties are pretty common on volume lines out west, like UP and BNSF.

#36744  by fglk

:(
Last edited by fglk on Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#37538  by roadster

Fglk, Savannah NY is between CP 320 and CP 323. CP 334 is the east end of Lyons. I have seen rail and tie plates from cp 423 , Wendy NY, all the way to cp 429 at Depew NY. A track gangs equipment was stored at Depew Yard next to CP 429 as of 7/20/04 ready for work. In places where you see just one or two ribbens of rail down are most likely a spot replacement of a section of badly worn rail.