Railroad Forums 

• CSX to buy GE Erie palnt?

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#1381963  by Ira

Has there been any talk about CSX purchasing the GE Transportation Erie plant. Rumors are saying theat. CSX is looking to open a rebuild and service plant and Erie's plant was the one in question. Any comments?
 #1382133  by mmi16

CSX is not known for putting additional people on the payroll for other than actions directly responsible for moving trains and generating revenue. Over the years many shops and maintenance facilities have been closed.

I can see CSX contracting with someone that is operating a rebuild plant, but CSX will not add people to the payroll for that activity.
 #1382491  by Backshophoss

Believe GE Erie is still active for warranty work,a few MBTA HSP-46's are at the plant,MN still has a couple
of P32 DM's there for rebuilding.
 #1409208  by MEC407

It's still active for a lot more than just that. Export locomotives, hundreds per year, are built there. The newer plant in Forth Worth is only used for domestic production.

There may come a time when GE sells Erie but it's not going to happen right now.

The trend in US railroading right now is for railroads to contract this stuff out to private companies. It would be very odd for a railroad to make such a huge and expensive commitment to keeping it in-house by literally purchasing a locomotive factory.
 #1409448  by Noel Weaver

I can't possibly see anything like this happening. It sounds more like a "railroad rumor". I remember them from years ago, mostly they were things that were next to impossible to happen. If you have a casual conversation with a railroader, believe only half of what you hear. Rumors fly high with railroaders.
Noel Weaver