Railroad Forums 

• CSX Acquisition of Pan Am Railways

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1550450  by fromway

Saying the MEC to the Keag is "crappy" is an understatement. When was the last time a train went all the way to the Keag on this line? It would take millions to get that line up to "crappy".
 #1550451  by Cosakita18

I guess the question should be rephrased as...do they want any of the mainline east of Ayer? That seems just so hard for me to believe given NS's current hardcore PSR business model. They've been more than willing to axe lines and services with far more volume and potential than D1/D2.
 #1550454  by 690

fromway wrote:When was the last time a train went all the way to the Keag on this line?
Last week.
 #1550466  by Rockingham Racer

Hold your horses :-D . Lest we forget, this is only a rumor. I'd like to see NS take all of District 2 main line [up to Portland, Gilbert]. The Portsmouth Branch could go to another railroad. They could drop and pick up cars for NS at Rockingham Jct. Then there's the Northern. Give the new owner rights to Lowell for same. The locals out of Lawrence: would they get thrown over to a regional?
 #1550468  by CN9634

Outside of the sale there is an effort underway to rebuild the line to Keag... and yes it involves millions of dollars. Should be determined this month if it happens or not.
 #1550475  by Gilbert B Norman

Question - enquiring mind wants to know!!!

What is the significance of Mattawamkeag ; who interchanges with who there. How could it impact the sale of Pan Am?

I thought both PA and CP-M interchanged with Irving Short Lines (Eastern Maine whatever) at Brownville Jct.

Yes, I did live in New England (well, if you call Greenwich that), but have been a "Chicagoland" resident since college ('70 grad). However as I've noted, I was a Fairfield Navy Cadet and did sail well "down" the Maine Coast - Isle Au Haut, Rockland, Somes Sound to name a few ports of call.

These two topics HAVE been an education for me; thank you "Yankees" for allowing me to participate.
 #1550479  by newpylong

Others can fill in the blanks.

Pan Am interchanges with the New Brunswick Southern there. Pan Am started having CMQ bridge this traffic for them Northern Maine Junction to Brownsville vs going to Keag due to deteriorating track conditions.

CP did not continue the agreement with Pan Am that the CMQ had moving their NBSR haulage from NMJ to Brownsville, therefor Pan Am doesn't really have much of a choice but to go back to interchanging with the NBSR at Keag. I would imagine sinking money into this line is on hold with a potential sale in the works.

FWIW the latest scuttlebutt out of Billerica is two Class Is are interested, and Watco is as well. I can see a slice and dice in the future.
 #1550481  by PBMcGinnis

Tim Mellon wants his money. He's not interested in taking more time to split the railroad up between NS and Watco.

So next rumor please...
 #1550485  by gokeefe

newpylong wrote:FWIW the latest scuttlebutt out of Billerica is two Class Is are interested, and Watco is as well. I can see a slice and dice in the future.
Are there any surprises in the interested Class Is or are we pretty much "on track" with our understanding thus far?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

#1550489  by Gilbert B Norman

PBMcGinnis wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:47 pm Tim Mellon wants his money. He's not interested in taking more time to split the railroad up between NS and Watco.
I couldn't agree more PBM.

Watco's game plan appears to acquire lines from one Class I or the other serving a specific industry. FRA Class 2 trackage is fine for that purpose.

But so far as the Port of Saint John goes, that they will not be able to offer competitive routings to the US Midwest over not less than FRA Class 3 must adversely affect their "game plan" beyond being a Love Tub fantasy island and whatever Coastal shipping calls there. Apparently. the Irving refinery now gets Alberta crude I'd guess shipped over the circuitous CN route (Yeah on that over "Brent" from one Sheik or the other).
 #1550492  by fromway

I know there is a worry about the transport of crude through Quebec, but did we recently have comments about the by-pass planned to go around Megantic? If we can get that solved, then I think it will open it up to unit oil trains again. Does anyone know the status of the by=pass?
 #1550495  by newpylong

PBMcGinnis wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:47 pm Tim Mellon wants his money. He's not interested in taking more time to split the railroad up between NS and Watco.

So next rumor please...
Plenty of time for plenty more rumors. But, I'll eat my shorts if it's a cut and dry 1 for 1 transaction.
Last edited by newpylong on Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1550496  by newpylong

gokeefe wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:31 pm
newpylong wrote:FWIW the latest scuttlebutt out of Billerica is two Class Is are interested, and Watco is as well. I can see a slice and dice in the future.
Are there any surprises in the interested Class Is or are we pretty much "on track" with our understanding thus far?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
No one knows who they are except those involved in the transaction. It's all guesses.
 #1550497  by codasd

I don't think TM cares if it is split 1 or 10 ways. He is looking for the best sale price and what can get by the STB in a timely way.