Railroad Forums 

• CSX Acquisition of Pan Am Railways

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1616048  by jamoldover

Since the infrastructure (however old) is already in place for the dispatchers and other office staff, and it doesn't make a difference if dispatching is local or not (from an operations standpoint), that probably makes sense. I suspect they'll probably use existing facilities for crew bases as well.
 #1616128  by ST377

Yes the dispatching will be from the new Keolis operations center. I can definitely see the rest of the B&E operation taking the cheap rent at IHP, though that building is in rough shape, infrastructure-wise.
 #1616160  by johnpbarlow

Article in Railfan & Railroad on-line by Justin Franz "Employees to Vote on Berkshire & Eastern Implementation Agreement":
https://railfan.com/employees-to-vote-o ... R10PdVRbT8

Excerpts:
On February 14, the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers and Trainmen sent ballots to members employed by Pan Am Railways affiliate Springfield Terminal so they could vote on an implementation agreement that will clear the way for Genesee & Wyoming to takeover over much of the former Boston & Maine.
The implementation agreement addresses changes in operations resulting from the transaction as well as figures out which employees will stay with CSX and which will go to the B&E. Ballots were due back by March 10.
 #1616328  by johnpbarlow

FWIW, as of 2/17/23 (and probably a few days before this), in its on-line job postings CSX no longer lists any "Springfield Terminal" conductor positions for anywhere in the former PAR/PAS territory.
 #1617930  by johnpbarlow

Forward progress to implementing B&E operation of PAS:
BLET members ratify Springfield Terminal implementing agreement
INDEPENDENCE, Ohio, March 10 — Members of the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers and Trainmen (BLET) employed by the Springfield Terminal Railway Company (ST) (an affiliate of Pan Am Railways) today ratified a New York Dock Implementing Agreement with the ST and Pittsburgh and Shawmut Railroad LLC d/b/a Berkshire & Eastern Railroad (B&E) (a subsidiary of Genesee and Wyoming). The agreement governs approximately 60 members.
The Implementing Agreement addresses changes in operations resulting from the transaction and applies protective conditions. In addition, the implementing agreement sets forth the process to divide the workforce between Springfield Terminal (ST) and Berkshire and Eastern (B&E) and defines the limits of the railroads after the Change Over Date.
I haven't yet seen identification of a "Change Over Date". And I’m a little confused why it says the agreement sets forth a process to divide the workforce between ST and B&E as opposed to CSX and B&E. Will ST agreement persist under CSX at least for awhile?

https://ble-t.org/news/blet-members-rat ... 1_ogtBygto
 #1617949  by ST377

I believe current CSX employees (former ST not going to B&E) are still working under the last signed ST union agreement and will continue to until the deal expires.
 #1617968  by newpylong

Correct. The agreement can't be to divide the workforce between CSX and the B&E because there is no ratified agreement between the ST and CSX yet. Breaking off the B&E employees is a prerequisite for that happening. Once they're gone the process of moving the ST employees to CSX and eventual folding of the ST can happen. Regardless, all the ST employees now work for CSX, it's a company only on paper now.

As I mentioned in the PAS thread now the other unions need to ratify with B&E, but those are usually rubber stamped compared to the BLE.

The new agreements are as you would expect. The ST agreement removes any mention of territory on PAS. The B&E agreement strikes out territory on PAR. Employees will become either B&E or remain ST employees based on the assignment at the time of cutover. They may bump a job or choose to switch railroads prior to the switch over. Each railroad maintains their respective rosters with prior rights. Vacation rights are retained. Etc and so on. No mention of a date yet.
 #1617994  by johnpbarlow

Interesting! I’ve read on occasion an NS power set that has brought either 264 or 16R to Ayer will be taken to CP-NC to spin the power if it has only a single dual mode PTC locomotive. How will this happen in new B&E scheme - Will B&E crews be qualified beyond CP-312? Thanks.
 #1618907  by ST377

Few minor changes to dispatching. Boiling it down to extreme basics - D1 to 185 and adding the Worcester Main Line, D2 185 to 312 and adding the Brunswick.