Railroad Forums 

• CSX Acquisition of Pan Am Railways

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1598265  by johnpbarlow

CSX ownership of Pan Am is a week away, 6/1/22. On or near that date, will there be any visible change in operations reflecting CSX is in charge? For example, should we expect that AYPO/POAY trains get re-symbolled to Q426/Q427 and CSX power that has ACSES II PTC capability (eg ET44AH and ES44AH) will operate all the way between Selkirk and Rigby? Will EDPO/POED get new symbols east of Ayer? Re: NS exercise of trackage rights over CSX Boston line for 22K/23K, I'm guessing that is a fairly long way off (if ever).
 #1598276  by jaymac

johnpbarlow wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 7:17 am ...Will EDPO/POED get new symbols east of Ayer?
As the rankest of outsiders, guessing that joint-venture traffic to and from E of 312 will pretty much disappear. What does remain can be handled at Ayer. Can see CSXT maximizing its ROI by working to get as much as possible onto Boston Line, especially after things get rehabbed up to Hill Yard.
 #1598285  by newpylong

The fact of the matter is that traffic is NS traffic, and the gateways are not supposed to change. So, if anything moves onto the B&A it is because NS loses the traffic. CSX cannot just route it that way and interchange with NS somewhere else.
 #1598286  by pnolette

I'm waiting for much needed trackwork to begin.The Wells siding project has gone 3 weeks now with no activity.
 #1598293  by F74265A

newpylong wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 11:48 am The fact of the matter is that traffic is NS traffic, and the gateways are not supposed to change. So, if anything moves onto the B&A it is because NS loses the traffic. CSX cannot just route it that way and interchange with NS somewhere else.
Agree with this. In the various filings, csx agreed to move certain traffic over the Fitchburg post-acquisition
 #1598321  by CN9634

It sounds like some changes are already underway… I’ve heard that “nothing will change until Jan 1” but that seems like a far fetched dream in my opinion.

Also, Q426/427 are supposed to be changing to M426/427 and extending to Portland
 #1598333  by newpylong

Not familiar with Pan Am then I take it...

Regarding extending Q426 to Portland, I've been told this will likely not happen until they've had a chance to rebuild Rigby and possibly the Worcester Main. Minimal changes are foreseen to start.
 #1598350  by jaymac

Dunno if CSXT is in the pre-handover process of re/qualifying crews on the Worcester Main, but 05-26-2022 XNG noises from ~0810 to post-0830 suggested that New Bond coulda been transited with a stop long enough to drop off a pilot.
Sry no deeper deets, but I was wrestling my yard into semi-shape.
 #1598363  by F74265A

I don’t think csx will make big operational changes immediately. after the track speeds and conditions get improved, then I expect changes since they could run more mileage with fewer crews. I hope to see, and expect to see, significant mow work this summer