Railroad Forums 

• CSX Acquisition of Pan Am Railways

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1597694  by F74265A

I hope that rumor is true

Worcester main is a mess but is short
I’d like to think that csx’s track crews could make quick work of that 25 miles

It would make Mwra and the state very happy if the watershed track is improved right away
 #1597696  by codasd

I believe CSX agreed to bring 7 miles of track up to class 3 with CWR by the reservoir within the first year of ownership. I hope they start a tie crew at Barber, head east and don't stop until the ground freezes.
 #1597697  by New Haven 1

Things should get interesting in the northeast for railroads in general with the impending diesel fuel shortage at least for the trucking industry in the northeast as being announced on the lame stream media.

If nothing else, it will cause some companies that have been on the fence to consider rail. everything is driven by cost. My employer refers to transportation as a "Non-Controllable manufacturing cost variance". I find this a bit amusing personally when considering rail service as an option because under the right circumstances this "Variance" can indeed be controlled.
 #1597698  by eolesen

I wouldn't rule out railroads being affected by diesel shortages.... or airlines.

Jet and diesel aren't too far apart on the fractioning ladder, and I've seen six airports in the last three weeks run out of fuel, including Johannesburg SA.
 #1597709  by CPF66

There has also been tie work on the Hinkley Branch and just west of Waterville Yard. But that work is mainly to keep everything at the current time table speeds. Pan Am also did some work to a spot in Livermore Falls with bad harmonic rocking, but despite dropping ballast its not that much of an improvement.
 #1597716  by johnpbarlow

CSX F40 9999 and theater car 994318 arrived on CSX Q426 at Worcester around sunrise Monday 5/16/22. Apparent mission is to inspect some of the Pan Am property that CSX will be acquiring in a couple of weeks. Not sure exactly where this inspection mission is headed....

Here are some muddy photos of the inspection train equipment passing the Palmer live cam this morning.
Attachments:
CSX Q426 with 9999 as DPU Palmer 051622.JPG
CSX Q426 with 9999 as DPU Palmer 051622.JPG (65.5 KiB) Viewed 3469 times
CSX Q426 with Theater car Palmer 051622.JPG
CSX Q426 with Theater car Palmer 051622.JPG (72.25 KiB) Viewed 3469 times
 #1597782  by johnpbarlow

Update on CSX/Pan Am inspection train:

At 0140 Tuesday 5/17/22, LA-2 crew departed Ayer with MEC 7552 (C40-8) leading CSXT 9999 (F40PH-2)
and CSXT 994318 (Observation Car) “Prime F. Osborn III”. Arrived North Station at 0330. Apparently will depart BON on Wednesday headed north to Portland. I'm not sure who is riding the CSX train - perhaps dignitaries or politicians?

Also, what is alleged to be the final Pan Am OCS hosting a BoD meeting with Mellon is apparently running from Waterville to Rigby today. Don't know if there will be an OCS encounter with the CSX inspection train.
 #1597835  by neman2

According to reports on Guilfordrailsightings google group CSX/ Pan Am inspection train left Boston today around 0800, passed Wilmington Station on Wildcat at 0845.
 #1597840  by newpylong

Mellon is having one last ride on his Choo Choo. Fink Senior is as well. I would assume Junior will be there, he was not offered employment at CSX.
 #1597891  by hillsboyro

Has anybody heard if CSX has announced plans for the Hillsborough branch in Southern New Hampshire? Peter Leishman has mentioned CSX seems a lot friendlier and more receptive than Pan Am...not that that's a high bar. This is Southern New Hampshire's big chance to bring rail back. I don't think the Lyndeborough quarry is big enough to support more than just Granite Concrete, but there are definitely customers up that way. Does anyone know what it would look like at Monadnock Paper Company? Boston and Maine rebuilt the Lyndeborough Trestle before the buyout and it can still support trains. If CSX is able to get Monadnock Paper back as a customer I'll pledge my life to them!
 #1597898  by newpylong

They have not made any statements what they intend to do anywhere really... haven not heard about plans for the Northern area. Wouldn't be surprised to see the entire Division leased out to VRS, etc. That was the original plan post sale.
 #1598112  by FatNoah

Wouldn't be surprised to see the entire Division leased out to VRS, etc. That was the original plan post sale.
My conspiracy-oriented brain still thinks negotiations for north of Nashua were part of the discussions during the STB process