Railroad Forums 

• CSX Acquisition of Pan Am Railways

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1575269  by roberttosh

gokeefe wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:54 pm
CN9634 wrote:Absolutely-- the 'Blue Nose' POSJ/SJPO traffic dented both MMA and CN volumes (mostly MMA) but now it'll surely move CSX to prominent northeast markets. I'm told CSX wants to run Keag to Rigby in one crew in the next 5 years.
That would seem to imply flawless Class 2 conditions with minimal enroute switching.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Assuming they would pick up at Northern Maine Jct and Waterville, unless they develop enough business up North where they run separate Keag and Waterville trains to Portland.
 #1575274  by F74265A

I don’t see CP continuing haulage to nmj that facilitates the loss of its business to csx. But perhaps they will. My sense is csx will have to directly connect with nbsr at keag to reliably and economically get Irving traffic
 #1575277  by roberttosh

Agreed, I wasn't referring to haulage traffic but more local traffic from Bangor, Old Town, Enfield, Orrington, etc. No doubt CSX will be running directly to Keag.
 #1575278  by newpylong

F74265A wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:34 pm I don’t see CP continuing haulage to nmj that facilitates the loss of its business to csx. But perhaps they will. My sense is csx will have to directly connect with nbsr at keag to reliably and economically get Irving traffic
CP is going to stop haulage for PAR as is, and this was figured out before the railroad went up for sale.
 #1575279  by F74265A

Got it. As for one or two trains from central and northern Maine, if the operate there at all like they do here in the mid Atlantic it will be one giant train. Why run 2 trains if you can run one 10000 foot train seems to be the deal around here
 #1575282  by roberttosh

It would probably only happen if CSX really eats CN and CP's lunch in the Maritimes and northern Maine and/or if they can expand the Waterville intermodal business.
 #1575297  by CN9634

Sounds like Waterville intermodal is off the table... I suspect they'll 'demarket' by way of pricing increase the Poland Springs business but who knows. If they build out Rigby though, they wouldn't want to operate two facilities in the State from a fixed cost standpoint.
 #1575353  by Cosakita18

It's also strange that Portland could end up with two intermodal facilities (Rigby and Yard 8) I wonder if any future ship-to-rail movements would just be drayed from the IMT to Rigby rather than loading directly from Yard 8.
 #1575358  by F74265A

The yard 8 facility as implemented has never made any sense. Too small, poor design, hard to switch, short track etc. Nearly useless. I do not expect it to ever be used in any significant way if at all. Just a waste of $$ by who ever funded it.

Last weekend I drove by the csx intermodal facility in Dewitt Yard near Syracuse. It makes yard 8 look like a toy train in somebody’s basement.
 #1575361  by newpylong

Yes Yard 8 is a terrible design and never should have been built. My guess is if anything, it could become something more like a Team Track, or used to serve that Cold Storage warehouse.

If someone is dead set on using that location (because of the dock) then those tracks needs to be extended all the way into said dock to the north and the entire thing needs to be reconfigured.
 #1575368  by CN9634

It was a resume booster for the former Port Director and members of the MPA, who have since moved on to greener pastures and bigger salaries.
 #1575563  by johnpbarlow

So how do you think the average not RR savvy reader of this headline in the Jacksonville Business Journal would react? Sounds like CSX doesn't care about service to the shipping customer!

CSX hoisted by its own petard!
Attachments:
CSX Pan Am Jax Biz Journal headline.JPG
CSX Pan Am Jax Biz Journal headline.JPG (112.12 KiB) Viewed 1654 times
 #1575584  by newpylong

I don't think the average person would bat an eye or care, and if they did the would click to read more.

As Josh stated this would imply PAS as they've already stated within the application they intend to implement the core tenants of PSR on PAR.