Railroad Forums 

• CSX Acquisition of Pan Am Railways

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1564580  by newpylong

The connector was a simple electric unlock because it was only used sporadically and for a handful of autoracks. They certainly aren't going to have the Conductor hop off and then walk a mile and a half up to the head end twice a day after he normals the switch. I can't see NS coordinating a cab or putting a utilityman there either. The obvious solution is just have NS pay to move the interlocking limits with a power switch. The Selkirk branch isn't cab signaled either is it? NS isn't going to want to run their high priority job at Restricted speed to the next ABS signal either and CSXT won't have a monster crawling through there either. Everybody wins.

As far as the connector itself it is in too poor shape to be used with a quick tie job. The entire thing has to be ripped up and replaced after the roadbed is re-ballasted. There is a huge drop off from the Selkirk sub to the present connector. I think the two railroads should be able to knock out their respective portions fairly quickly once the equipment and materials are staged. We aren't talking Pan Am here, NS and CSX have real construction crews. I am going to make a trip down to check that out when it's done for sure.

I agree, something is going to have to change to get trains more efficiently on and off the Worcester Main. I imagine those details are already worked out, CSX has an incentive now that they'll be owning the property. Lowell or Lawrence will likely become a crew base maybe that will take some of the pressure off of the Worcester area.
 #1564582  by bostontrainguy

taracer wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:16 pm Look again, it is still basically there. A real easy restoration to get trains running at 10-15 MPH through the work area with bulletins
I'm looking but I still don't see anything . . .

Branch crossed roadway at center of photo just north of the 201 sign.
 #1564589  by J.D. Lang

I was there in October 2019 doing some railfanning for a day. The town has put up a nice little railfan pavilion and parking area for the trail people. The trail starts just to the east of the old crossing. The tracks to the west of the old diamond have been torn up for about 1/2 mile toward the west and the right of way is really grown in. Newpy reconfiguring CP-VO and adding a powered switch to be part of the interlocking makes sense. I should have known that since I was a brakeman for PC back in the early 70's.
 #1564591  by taracer

bostontrainguy wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:04 pm I'm looking but I still don't see anything . . .
Did you see my link of the Worcester sat image? Easily 3 times what your VO image shows has been cleared in the old B&M yard already.
Last edited by MEC407 on Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: excessive quoting
 #1564597  by taracer

Pic from 2010 but it looked like this right up till last year wen a little clearing was done for power line maintenance. This is 10 MPH track
Last edited by MEC407 on Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting
 #1564602  by F74265A

Pan am track standards are embarrassing .

Csx to Leominster was worse though, albeit a light branch rather than a supposed main route
 #1564604  by Cowford

Street view says it all. A complete rebuild will be needed, including installation of crossing protection.
Voorheesville connection.JPG
Voorheesville connection.JPG (73.34 KiB) Viewed 1796 times
 #1564605  by F74265A

Given the expanse of RR that both ns and csx operate and maintain, this work at Delanson to VO, Worcester and the Hill Yard, plus clearance work between Worcester and Ayer, to implement the trackage rights deal once stb approvals are obtained can’t be a heavy lift for these guys if they make it a priority. Especially if they do all the engineering and planning while the stb matter is pending.
 #1564611  by Mdudek

Would it be feasible for NS to run from Mechanicville, down the Colonie Main to Kenwood, and from there take the CSX connection down to Selkirk? Would CP give the trackage rights?