Railroad Forums 

• CSX Acquisition of Pan Am Railways

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1564120  by chrisf

As a casual follower of this thread/topic, I find that the nicknames for everything make it extremely difficult to follow what's being written. Given that "CSX" is 3 letters and "NS" is 2, calling them something else serves no purpose of any value.
Just my 2 cents.
 #1564121  by Shortline614

Should also be noted:

CMQ = Central Maine & Quebec (Also known as the Moosehead). The CMQ was a railroad running from Montreal, Quebec to Brownsville Junction, Maine with branches to Searsport and Millinocket, Maine. The CMQ was purchased by CP in June of last year.
NBSR/EMRY/MNRY/Irving = New Brunswick Southern/Eastern Maine/Maine Northern. These 3 railroads are all owned and operated by JD Irving Limited. They form an "L" shape from Aroostook County Maine to Brownsville Junction then east to Saint John, New Brunswick.

I will admit the nicknames make it a bit hard to read sometimes.
 #1564134  by Ridgefielder

GuilfordRailSD45 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:36 am GT = Grand Trunk (CN subsidiary for it's US properties) ... the SLR (Saint Lawrence & Atlantic, a G&W road) now runs over this route from Auburn, ME to Island Pond, VT (and ultimately onto Sherbrooke, QC as the St-Laurent et Atlantique Railroad / SLQ which is also G&W-owned)
QGYR = Quebec Gatineau Railway (a G&W road)
Further clarification, for those not familiar-- the Grand Trunk was an important CN predecessor road in the East. The original GT main line ran from Portland through Auburn, Berlin NH, Island Pond VT and on to Montreal. Prior to the introduction of icebreakers this was a vital outlet for Canada when the St. Lawrence was frozen. This Portland-Montreal line is what's being referred to as the GT.

The Grand Trunk Corporation still exists in the United States as the holding company for CN's properties south of the border: the Duluth Mesabi & Iron Range, Wisconsin Central, Illinois Central, Elgin Joliet & Eastern, Grand Trunk Western, Bessemer & Lake Erie. However the original Grand Trunk route through New England was sold to G&W about 20 years ago.
 #1564144  by Gilbert B Norman

I'm pleased that this "glossary" for the "Alphabet Soup" of terms floating about this now-epic has been addressed.

May I add, even if I have referenced such in several of my postings, the SOO Line.

That is the Class I road, HQ'd in Minneapolis and wholly owned by the Canadian Pacific, into which all of its US properties, such as "my MILW", what's left of the original M,StP, & SSM (fka SOO), Wisconsin Central, D,SS &A, the 49% interest in the Indiana Harbor Belt, the Delaware & Hudson, the CM&Q, and those I missed, have been combined.

Now what I'm not sure is where are the Canadian Subs of these US roads, such as the Napierville Junction (D&H) and the CMQ-Q; were they merged into the CP, or do they stand alone as Canadian Corporations?
Last edited by Gilbert B Norman on Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1564147  by Shortline614

Soo also has the Dakota, Minnesota & Eastern, which in turn owns the Iowa, Chicago & Eastern.

I believe that CP directly acquired CMQ-Canada and kept it as a subsidiary (If I am wrong please correct me). In the United States, Soo established a subsidiary, Black Bear Acquisition LLC, to acquire CMQ-United States. CMQ-United States is owned by Black Bear Acquisition LLC, which is owned by Soo Line Corporation, which is owned by Canadian Pacific. A subsidiary of a subsidiary of a subsidiary.

Another somewhat related question, how much independence does Soo have within the CP family of companies?
 #1564157  by markyk

Lots of great information in this thread......I have learned quite a bit about railroading in this part of the world. Coming from a supply chain background, part of the "fun" is trying to understand where we go from here and the "why's"........

Here are links to the release from last Fall in regard to CP getting the Maersk traffic........nothing too specific

https://www.cpr.ca/en/media/cp-announce ... ler-maersk

https://www.freightwaves.com/news/canad ... rom-maersk
 #1564159  by JayBee

Shortline614 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:19 pm
Another somewhat related question, how much independence does Soo have within the CP family of companies?
The Soo Line Corp. and by extension all its subsidiaries has no independence. There is a Board of Directors and a President, who is also a CP Vice President. Soo Line Corp is responsible for all US regulatory matters and files taxes for all CP's US subsidiaries so the finance department and legal departments are full sized, i.e. the is a CFO who will sign along with the President all STB and IRS documents. Operations and Marketing are just portions of larger CP departments, but there are Marketing personnel in Minneapolis to take care of US customers. Obviously there are Dispatchers in Minneapolis also.
 #1564165  by trainsinmaine

Since reading the above post about the alphabet soup of abbreviations for railroad names, I'm a bit confused as to who owns the section of the old BAR between Brownville Junction and Millinocket. If it's the Maine Northern Railway, am I correct in assuming that the CP has operating rights on it? If the CP owns it, is the opposite true? I should think it would have to be, else the aforementioned "L" would be disconnected.
 #1564168  by F74265A

I think cp owns that stretch.
Irving built a new connection between the north-south ex BAR line and its section of the moosehead just a few miles east of Brownsville junction
You can see it on google maps
 #1564176  by MEC407

Also note: it's Brownville, not Brownsville.