Railroad Forums 

• CSX Acquisition of Pan Am Railways

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1563891  by roberttosh

Why would they route cars CP-PAS-CSX and involve a third carrier when they can go CP-CSX direct via Albany? Also, the Everett traffic now moves via Danville. I think you will find that CSX will look to consolidate as much business as possible via Selkirk and the B&A. There's no reason to split revenue with the NS when you have your own parallel line.
 #1563893  by newpylong

No - Everett also gets cars from CP at Mohawk, the same Ciment Quebec cars that Bow gets. You will see them on ED8 or EDPO mixed in with the Everett scrap cars. Cement blocks come in for all 3 major terminals over PAS: LaFarge and CQ Bow and Everett.

If the traffic is coming from CP I don't think it's by any means a given that it will shift to the B&A. Pick your poison: pay PAS (of which they will be revenue sharing member) to switch move and block them for you or back haul the cars down to Selkirk and do it yourself. Could go either way, or even all shift to Maine for that matter.

I think we're getting a little too hypothetical thinking how single customers are going to change their traffic patterns.
 #1563894  by roberttosh

If the Everett cars move via CP then where are the 10-20 car cuts of Ciment Quebec cars going to that move between Danvile and Lawrence on a regular basis? I could be wrong but CSX is in the business of moving freight over its' own lines, so again, I doubt very much that they would want to share the business with their biggest competitor vs keeping all the revenue themselves.
 #1563900  by JayBee

I assume that all of you involved in these various discussion about possible container traffic are aware that CP routes any doublestack traffic using hycube containers between Toronto/Montreal and soon Saint John on train 143 west of Montreal to Buffalo where the complete train including locomotives becomes CSX train Q165 to Chicago where it returns to CP at Blue Island using a CP transfer crew to Bensenville Yard as train 143 again. Train 142/Q166 operates in the reverse direction. So CSX benefits in some of the Saint John Intermodal traffic without rebuilding the tracks to 'Keag.
 #1563901  by newpylong

I'm not looking to get in a pissing match about where rail cars come from. Customers frequently receive cars from the same origin via multiple gateways. It is as simple as changing the routing in the computer. We used to do it all the time. Sometimes by design sometimes not.

I was simply mentioning that CQ Everett gets cars from the West End. Whether they (also) get blocks from Danville is irrelevant (I'm sure they do as I've seen them on POED or POAY.)

We will have to wait and see just what happens once the sale is consummated. However while not preferred, it is very common to pay someone else to bridge your cars. The big money is in the originating and terminating carrier not the middle.
 #1563902  by roberttosh

I’m by no means trying to start a pissing match either, I was simply stating facts on how CQ at Everett has their cars routed. Maybe they ship some via CP too but the vast majority was shifted to CN some time ago. Perhaps the cars you talk of on ED 8 are going to Bow as i’m Sure it’s not that uncommon for those cars to make it to Lawrence.
 #1563907  by newpylong

roberttosh wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:37 pm I’m by no means trying to start a pissing match either, I was simply stating facts on how CQ at Everett has their cars routed. Maybe they ship some via CP too but the vast majority was shifted to CN some time ago. Perhaps the cars you talk of on ED 8 are going to Bow as i’m Sure it’s not that uncommon for those cars to make it to Lawrence.
I used to work there, and for better or worse still have good friends in train service and Billerica. This is now the third time that I will state that Ciment Quebec Everett gets cars from CP (via PAS at MX) in addition to the SLR. No, I am not talking about cars for Bow which I've also stated multiple times is a seperate block (dropped at Lowell usually).

To make sure my information is current I just sent messaged the second trick Deerfield clerk and yes, they have cars in the yard for Lawrence customer CQ, Everett. "The cement tonnage is picking up lately for some reason."

Are we going to keep going at this or are you open to their cars coming from both locations yet? :-D
 #1563911  by Cowford

A couple points:

Mr Tosh - haulage is a bilateral contract between two roads and outside of STB jurisdiction. Also, consider that in this case, this is actually an international haulage agreement. I'm not aware of any such trackage rights agreements and how they would be administered between STB and Transport Canada.

To those that feel Irving will sell NBSR: If you were a major rail user such as Irving and the road you owned had the leverage of having connections to three Class Is, and direct access to a good deal of your woodlands, would you sell?

Newpy - with respect, simply going into the computer and changing routing ignores the fact that roads set up with shippers rates that are route specific. Under some conditions, gateways can be altered for convenience, but introducing new roads into the routing - not so much.
 #1563913  by newpylong

Haulage (if a party feels they are being unfairly subjected in one way or another) absolutely may come under the purview of the STB. The most recent example is CP vs PAR re: NMJ.

The example I referred to re: routing was not introducing another carrier at all. It was pre-PAS where Rotterdam and Barbers were equal cost to the consignee depending on location. I was simply stating if price is equal routing can change at both the railroad and customer's request.
Last edited by newpylong on Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 #1563918  by NYC27

CQ’s plant is on the QGRY....they have the option to go via both CN and CP and in recent years have split the traffic. Most goes CP at Mechanicville though.
 #1563924  by budd6209

If Genesee & Wyoming were to become the partner in pamam southern. Then I Would think that Genesee & Wyoming would like to move it mostly on there lines. It would not make any sense to have it moved through csx on the boston and albany line. This would make them more like to move the cement by the way of the connecticut river line or cp rail to Mechanicville, NY. This way they can try to keep more of the revenue for them self. The only real problem with this is it takes more railroads handling it.