• CSX to acquire Pan Am Railways

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

• 2398 posts
  by CN9634

newpylong wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:02 pm Rumor mill is saying mid-month for STB application.
Heard end of next week so that sounds consistent. Now we speculate if there has been something reworked or changed since the original deal announced...(or if the lawyers took an extended holiday) guess we find out soon enough
  by mrj1981

Curious about this - would both buyer and seller railroads be a party to the STB application? Or just buyer?
  by b&m 1566

I heard the same thing about the STB filing this past Tuesday night, when the board of directors for the Souhegan Valley Rail Trail (Hillsboro Branch), held their monthly zoom meeting.
  by Ridgefielder

newpylong wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:05 pm
Rockingham Racer wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:55 am I have my doubts about going all the way to Pittsfield. Most folks out that way are more focused on Albany than they are on Boston, aren't they? Now, if the service was a cooperative effort between New York and Mass., I'd say going to Pittsfield -and beyond to Chatham and Albany--would make a lot more sense.
Correct. Berkshire county gets its power, Internet, news, largely commutes to and shops in the Capital District. Boston is only useful to go the Red Sox once a year and to take their tax money. No one is going to ride with frequency from Pittsfield to Boston.
Seems to me that any Pittsfield - Boston service is going to be driven by politics, not demand. Either in the form of doing something "green" or in the form of a quid-pro-quo for Western Mass support of some sort of MBTA funding increase/bailout. So far as I can figure the only actual demand-driven service would be Pittsfield-NYC (something that staggered on to A-day in weekend-only form and has nothing to do with CSX).

Going back to PanAm- I can't really see *any* market for Boston-Western Mass passenger service via the Hoosac. I doubt the aggregate population of every city on the B&M west of Fitchburg exceeds that of Springfield.
  by MickD

Very true about the population west of Fitchburg..What does make sense is 2 to 3 trains a day
on the B & A with two or three stops west of Worcester in between,and Palmer should be one...
  by Gilbert B Norman

Volks. I don't think that when Chessie made her successful offer for Pan Am, she had in mind any agency cluttering up her ROW's with a bunch of new passenger trains.

Obviously she factored in the existing MBTA and NNEPRA trains, but any of the proposals reported here set forth by a legislative body? Don't think so.

Talk of too many less than fully compensated passenger train impositions and somebody just might have her fur and tail raised and be gone.

I can't be sure if imposition of the New Haven upon Penn Central was the "straw that broke the camel's back", but it certainly didn't help
  by BandA

Looks like MassDOT has plans to spend $50M thinking about cluttering up Chessie's dinner bowl, albeit while adding double-track: post1560586.html

https://malegislature.gov/Bills/191/H5248
For the purpose of implementing rail improvements pursuant to chapter 161C of the General Laws; provided, that not less than $50,000,000 shall be used for transportation planning, design, permitting and engineering, acquisition of interests in land, vehicle procurement, construction, construction of stations and right-of-way acquisition for the East-West passenger rail project, which includes Pittsfield to Boston service via Springfield...
  by johnpbarlow

Shippers are interested in how STB will handle the proposed CSX acquisition of Pan Am Railways:
Sloan [senior director of regulatory and technical affairs for the American Chemistry Council] also said he and other rail shippers would be watching how STB approaches CSX’s (NASDAQ: CSX) move to acquire short line Pan Am Railways, which serves New England.

“We’re keeping a close eye on what the STB decides to do,” Sloan said. That includes seeing how the board ensures that the merger will improve rail service and make service offerings more competitive, he said.
https://www.freightwaves.com/news/rail- ... t-for-2021
  by troffey

Rockingham Racer wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:55 am I have my doubts about going all the way to Pittsfield. Most folks out that way are more focused on Albany than they are on Boston, aren't they? Now, if the service was a cooperative effort between New York and Mass., I'd say going to Pittsfield -and beyond to Chatham and Albany--would make a lot more sense.
I can't find the reference, but I swear I saw on here before that Amtrak was on the record as saying if they were running such a service, it would be Albany-Boston.
  by Ridgefielder

Running to Albany certainly makes more sense from an operational standpoint. There's no way to even turn the power at Pittsfield, let alone service the equipment. Nor is there a crew base.
Last edited by MEC407 on Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: UNNECESSARY QUOTING
  by Safetee

Stopping at Springfield and or just going to New Haven would make even more cents.
  by newpylong

New Haven is way off the beaten path for an East - West MA service.
  by Backshophoss

Figure on a split,and CSX spending $$$$$$$$ to rebuild the PAR trackage to at least 35 mph freight speeds.
  by newpylong

End of business day Friday on the filing is the word.
  by roberttosh

I wonder if the filing will address what their plans are for their half of PAS?