Railroad Forums 

• CSX tight-lipped about derailments?

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#1229260  by Autoblock

Gadfly wrote:We at NS used to refer to CSX as "the derailment road" because they seemed to have so many! While all railroads are subject to derailments, CSX seems to be plagued with them and it seems to be due to deferred maintenance. NS, and its predecessor Southern, was persnickety about track and very OCD about their physical plant. Any derailment cause much consternation on Southern (where I hired) and lots of investigation as to the cause. They would place blame, and run anyone off who caused such with 10, 15, 30 day suspensions. NS was always VERY anal about it and "grumpy" when it came to it! :wink:
I agree! You can bitch a lot about NS's way of doing things but one thing they do have is a great track structure! If a temporary speed restriction is put on it is usually taken care of promptly.
 #1236619  by ACeInTheHole

CSX has so many derailments someone actually managed to bag one on camera.. As it happened. There was also another video too that I came across recently where a coal train was going by a grade crossing, the guy was videoing and one of the cars breaks a knuckle right before passing the camera (you can hear the bang bang when it lets go) and the train goes into emergency.. Not to mention rolls past the camera in two pieces. Luckily the back half of the train had some good brakes or that could've ended poorly.
 #1236654  by charlie6017

All railroads have derailments and pull-aparts in their trains, CSX just was unlucky enough to have
them caught on camera. The guy in Florida just about lives by the tracks and videotapes everything
in sight on the line and evidently has no life.

Having said that, I don't see how any productive conversations can be had about this topic.

Charlie