Railroad Forums 

• CSX- The Road that Cares

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#322783  by pablo

It's really wonderful that they do this, but saying that CSX cares about the communities they pass through/serve is a bit much.

Engineer James...do you work for CSX?

Dave Becker, who does not work for a Class 1

#322987  by Cowford

In the spirit of the season... can everyone refrain from flaming the company; CSX management's public relations effort here is a good thing and warmly received by those communities.

#323003  by crazy_nip

all the idiot conrail fans have nothing better to do

#323119  by Noel Weaver

This is not an effort by former Conrail people to bash CSX. Unfortunately
CSX sends out one message on the right hand and a totally different
message on the left hand. They are not the only ones to have done that
in the past and probably this will continue in the future.
I don't like bashing any railroad and I have done my share on here, I
would rather see the railroads that do get bashed do things that will result
in a positive reaction rather than a negative reaction.
Needless to say, sometimes railroad management does things that do not
make any sense to me but sometimes they do things that do not appear
to make sense but when I consider what else they could have done, they
end up with little or no alternative. I do not like to see any railroad let
their physical plant go to hell, I saw that on the Penn Central to a huge
extant and it raised hell with their operating costs some of which labor
got the blame for. Very few railroaders want to spend 12 or more hours
going 150 miles on a freight train over a trip that should have and could
have been done in eight hours if the railroad had been properly
maintained. I know, I have experienced it.
The best managements that I worked under were Metro-North from 1983
until 1987 at least, I can't really say after that and Conrail for the most
part from 1987 until 1997 when I retired. The worst management was
without a doubt Penn Central especially in the early period after the
merger and especially by some former Pennsylvania people.
I worked for the railroad for 41 years and I do not enjoy finding fault with
them but sometimes I do not feel that I have a choice.
I have three basic criticisms of CSX:
1. The way they have treated at least some of their operating employees.
2. The way they have treated Amtrak passenger trains over their lines.
3. My concern for the reduction in track maintenance of very main lines
which can and result in many operating problems including longer
running times, increase in number of derailments and in the risk of
derailments and poorer working conditions. This also causes a major
increase in operating costs.
I well remember the 12 plus hour days on Penn Central and I well
remember when Stanley Crane took over Conrail and tore up a fair
amount of track. He also poured a lot of money into the main lines and
track conditions were probably the best ever when he retired and this
basically lasted right through the end of Conrail.
Sorry for such a long one but I needed to say this.
Everybody, please have a happy THANKSGIVING and have a SAFE day.
Noel Weaver

#323153  by COEN77

Noel, your absolutely correct on track maintenance on CSX we have slow orders that linger for months. For over 22 years I rode on track that was just freight rail then 7 years ago qualified on a subdivision that the track is subsidized by Amtrak it's two different worlds. Gone were the low spots that felt like you were bottoming out less broken rails in fall and winter ect...every year I make a trip on my old sub just to stay qualified to tell the truth my arse sucks up the seat cover on that bumpy ride. A few times we have been diverted on to the NS because of derailments, river flooding ect...now that is a well maintained railroad they keep their track and road beds in great condition. Why can't CSX seeing they want to be the NS follow in their footsteps on track maintenance?

#323172  by Engineer James

Since when did this thread turn into Track speed limits? I am talking about how CSX is providing a service to those underprivialged in those rural area of Kentucky. and other states. I think its awesome!

Dave> I wish I do. Just an avid Teen railfan, and always watchin CSX, they are the Home road around MI, except for the trickle of NS, and the brunt of shortlines.

#323173  by pablo

Noel's point is that while CSX may do some nice things, they do some decidedly un-nice things.

PR is great, but where the "rubber meets the road," they leave a lot to be desired. Things like this mean more if the workers are safe, and the track leaves a lot to be desired.

Dave Becker

#323174  by COEN77

Engineer James wrote:Since when did this thread turn into Track speed limits? I am talking about how CSX is providing a service to those underprivialged in those rural area of Kentucky. and other states. I think its awesome!

Dave> I wish I do. Just an avid Teen railfan, and always watchin CSX, they are the Home road around MI, except for the trickle of NS, and the brunt of shortlines.
And we wish they showed that same kindness to their employees. Which CSX doesn't. :(

#323300  by Engineer James

REALLY? *Stuned* Well, a lot of the folks here on the Toledo Div. I ha talked to seem to be pretty happy with CSX.... but, why must CSX treat their employee's badly... whats wrong? What kind of treatment do you guys get?

#323324  by COEN77

They probably won't feel that way in a few years when the auto factories start shutting down. Besides your an outsider why would they tell you. I started my railroading in the '70s out of Walbridge Ohio the auto industry went belly up back then I ended up in Virginia. I get rail fans all the time asking questions they think its great and I don't bust their illusions. It is a good job it's just CSX policies are a little to harsh at the present moment. Your only 17 you'll figure that one out when you get in to the job market.

#323640  by Engineer James

Yeah, This is true. Now, is there an UNSPOKEN code when it come to dealign with Railfans?

#323654  by COEN77

No, that's up to the individual. For the most part railroaders are a close knit bunch, not a close as we once were and I attribute that to staying in hotels instead of years ago we had bunkhouses and Railroad YMCA's for lodging. Back in those days you had communal areas for TV, card games ect...or we would sit around and shoot the breeze in the resturaunt. Today you go to your room at the hotel and not see each other till your called. Years ago when you had full crews a conductor and two brakemen or an engineer and firemen you got to know people better than their own families. We took care of each other look out for one another we were a close knit group. In away I miss all that cameraderie it was like having a second family at times.

#323781  by Engineer James

Now, I could see where that would take a hit. I mean us RAILFANS (True railfans, that photograph, and collect things...) think of the railroads of the yesteryear that were great big systems, that took hours of work to create....