Railroad Forums 

• CSX Switching question

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#259064  by Noel Weaver

When this line was first single tracked by the New York Central, it was
operated by timetable and train orders and an automatic block system.
Later on by the New York Central, the timetable and train orders portion of
the operation was improved to TCS rules and trains ran by signal indication. Spring switches were originally put in at the siding switches but
again late in the New York Central years the switches were changed to
interlockings and the locations were then referred to as CP's (control points).
If I remember correctly the old arrangement at CP-13 during the mid
1970's and early 1980's was a single light home signal on the main track
and a dwarf signal at the north end of the siding. Southbound signal at
CP-13 was a two light signal with southbound trains that were lined for the
siding receiving a "restricting" indication. Northbound trains on the siding
that were lined out for the main at CP-13 would receive a "slow clear"
indication. All of the signals at CP-13 were of the searchlight variety.
Noel Weaver
 #260839  by mmi16

cifn2 wrote:I have a question, I hear CSX's trains coming through here sometimes they will get the redlight, and the dispatcher out of Jacksonville FL will give them permission to throw the switch by hand and take it off power, and pass by then return it to power and continue on their way passing the red. Do switches operate automatically or how does that work in the CSX system?
Crews are authorized by the Dispatcher to operate Power Switches by hand only when the Dispatcher cannot operate them through the system....either there is trouble with the individual switch being lined for the trains movement or there is Code Line failure that prevents the operation of any of the signal system at the location.

Re:

#904100  by n01jd1

Noel Weaver wrote:When this line was first single tracked by the New York Central, it was
operated by timetable and train orders and an automatic block system.
Later on by the New York Central, the timetable and train orders portion of
the operation was improved to TCS rules and trains ran by signal indication. Spring switches were originally put in at the siding switches but
again late in the New York Central years the switches were changed to
interlockings and the locations were then referred to as CP's (control points).
If I remember correctly the old arrangement at CP-13 during the mid
1970's and early 1980's was a single light home signal on the main track
and a dwarf signal at the north end of the siding. Southbound signal at
CP-13 was a two light signal with southbound trains that were lined for the
siding receiving a "restricting" indication. Northbound trains on the siding
that were lined out for the main at CP-13 would receive a "slow clear"
indication. All of the signals at CP-13 were of the searchlight variety.
Noel Weaver
Sorry to revive this thread, but I had been discussing the single tracking of the River Line with a friend of mine recently and I had vaguelly remembered seeing this thread and another one similar to it and somehow I had this idea that there was a period of time after the passenger trains stopped running where the River LIne was not signaled. Reading this post and another old post, It looks like I was only partially correct. So now I would like to ask a few questions to clarify things. How much of the River LIne was dark territory and for how long? Were all of the sidings in use by Conrail in 1976 a part of the original single tracking or were more added during the sixties? In the ABS portion of the line, did they simply recycle and adapt the original signaling system when they single tracked or did they install the more modern signals that would be part of the CTC project at that time? Was the CTC installed in preparation for an anticipated increase in traffic that would come from the Penn Central merger or would the CTC have been installed anyway? Thanks in advance for any reply.
 #904469  by RichM

Usually my memory is wrong with these things, but I believe the system as described by Mr. Weaver went into effect almost immediately. There was a "lit when approach" signal nornthbound about 1/2 mile north of the Broadway crossing in Norwood (may still be there), as a kid in the early '60's that was the best I could do to know when a train was coming.