Railroad Forums 

• CSX SIGNALS TEST!

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1011560  by sam7

I will be out of ashtabula or the cleveland,ohio location!

I would like to know which type of signals i should be studying for before i
go down to the redi center for my training?Also do you know were i can get
some study material for these signals?

i also would like too know if you get more than 1 chance to take some of
these tests?
 #1011649  by roadster

since your going to be out of Cleveland or Astabula, Ohio, I suspect you'll be operating on former CR territory. I strongly suggest that you wait till you are at the Redi Center. The Instructors will give you all of the study materials you will need. I don't want you getting incorrect or out of date material and get confused before you get there. Relax. Recent new hires I have met have said they usually give 3 attempts. Good Luck.
 #1011659  by sam7

ok so i get 3 tries
that's good news, do you know how many signals i need to learn?
do you know if the test are multiple choice?
 #1011906  by mmi16

No matter what legacy signals may be in place today - CSX is actively replacing legacy signals as they get ready to comply with the PTC mandate.
 #1012028  by x60pilot

To pass the test at REDI you are among the lucky few to get to learn Conrail signals and indications. TO pass your OJT you will need to know both Conrail and Seaboard signals and indications.
 #1012089  by sam7

so i need to study for the Conrail signals!These are hard to learn or not?Any websites that i can practice on?
ok so i have to know signals,aspects, and indications!!...Are these tests going to be multiple choice answers?
thanks sam7
 #1012164  by trainman82

conrail from what i heard are the hardest indications. good luck. with that being said, there are three tests, wayside signs, aspects (the name of the signal) and indications. you will be shown a colored signal, and given a bunch of words and must create the aspect name from that list, that is the easy one. indications gives you some words, as well as some phrases and you must click on the right ones and in the right order to make up the indication. and you must know the aspect or name of the signal, cause on the indication test, your not given it, you are just given the picture of the signal and must remember both. it's not super hard, but miss even one word, and you fail the whole test and must re take it, and you only have 9 tries to take it. i highly suggest everyone take the practice tests until you get a hundred on them, cause they are identical to the real test. the aspects test has fifty questions and the indications has whoever many signal types there are, usually in the high 20's.
 #1012308  by mikec1973

trainman82 wrote:conrail from what i heard are the hardest indications. good luck. with that being said, there are three tests, wayside signs, aspects (the name of the signal) and indications. you will be shown a colored signal, and given a bunch of words and must create the aspect name from that list, that is the easy one. indications gives you some words, as well as some phrases and you must click on the right ones and in the right order to make up the indication. and you must know the aspect or name of the signal, cause on the indication test, your not given it, you are just given the picture of the signal and must remember both. it's not super hard, but miss even one word, and you fail the whole test and must re take it, and you only have 9 tries to take it. i highly suggest everyone take the practice tests until you get a hundred on them, cause they are identical to the real test. the aspects test has fifty questions and the indications has whoever many signal types there are, usually in the high 20's.
any idea what signals the albany div uses?
 #1012424  by Ironman

mikec1973 wrote: any idea what signals the albany div uses?
CR-1277 to CR-1294a. The signs are same as anywhere else on CSX.
 #1012532  by 9axle

You can take practice tests as often as you like, I brought lunch and took them over and over, open book at first. Once you are comfortable with the practice tests, take the real ones. I forget how many tries you get, I thought it was 10, not 3.
 #1012637  by pjlsjl

ryanw wrote:I am going to REDI on Feb. 6. How about you?
I am going the 6th also will be working out of corbin ky
 #1012664  by x60pilot

You get 9 tries, you can only take the test once a day. When I was there they had testing at lunch on Tue, Wed, and Thur, so you basically have 3 weeks to pass if you use all of the tests everyday you can take it. They did give 3 people in my class an extra try (tenth attempt) on the very last day of class. Two of them didn't make it and went home on the last day empty handed. Start studying them the end of the first week. Take practice tests all of week 2 and 3 and finish them for real during week four, week three if you can. Trust me (and they will tell you) don't put it off until the last minute, it will bite you.

My hint to you is to memorize the aspects that don't make sense Medium Approach is one and most of the dwarfs. Also, when it comes to learning indications remember which ones have "special" circumstances. Approah slow for instance. I made flash cards, you may get them from someone else, but making them helps you learn. You'll need about 40. I used 4x6 note cards and yard sale dot stickers. I studied alone many studied in groups, do whatever works best for you. Good luck.

And you hired out of Ashtabula? Don't plan on holding a job there. Those are 40 year seniority jobs.