Railroad Forums 

• CSX signal replacement across New York State

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1425134  by sd80mac

I was using ATCS on C&O/B&O lines in Ohio and Ind. it helps me a lot since you know that I cant use scanner.

the satellite dish is what killed ATCS... It removed the radio communication from ATCS. Now I'm back to square one again.... :-(

However NS has not changed to satellite dish so far...
 #1425139  by Matt Langworthy

sd80mac wrote:I was using ATCS on C&O/B&O lines in Ohio and Ind. it helps me a lot since you know that I cant use scanner.
Why can't you use a scanner? I have found mine indispensable for raillfanning both CSX and NS. It renders the debate of approach lit vs constantly lit signals moot, for the most part.
 #1425169  by charlie6017

Matt Langworthy wrote:
sd80mac wrote:I was using ATCS on C&O/B&O lines in Ohio and Ind. it helps me a lot since you know that I cant use scanner.
Why can't you use a scanner? I have found mine indispensable for raillfanning both CSX and NS. It renders the debate of approach lit vs constantly lit signals moot, for the most part.
sd80mac wrote: For you, you still have scanner... u have something to fall back on....

But for me, It sucks... Scanner doesn't do any good for me. I'm deaf....
:wink:
 #1425180  by SST

I was out doing a mini road trip which included this new signal on the west side of the Harlem Rd overpass [Frontier]. From this angle you can't see the lights which stinks. But I did walk over towards the bridge and they were not lit.

#1425190  by Matt Langworthy

charlie6017 wrote:
Matt Langworthy wrote:
sd80mac wrote: For you, you still have scanner... u have something to fall back on....

Oh no! I'm sorry! :(
 #1425210  by SST

While trying to get to MP431 [Amtrak Depew] I was hoping the vader lights would be lit with some background lighting. No luck. I can't figure out why this set of lights are not only turned away from the track but the tower is parallel to the track as well. If they leave the tower as is and turn only the signals, it looks to me that one set will block the other. Although it comes to mind that a crane was at the Forks Fire Station yesterday and today. I'm wondering when the time comes, they'll unbolt this tower, lift, rotate it 90 degrees and reset and rebolt it and then turn the signals. The tower with lights to the far right next to the power pole look like its for the industrial track which is immediately behind me out of view.

https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipM ... ht9Uu4PXkh" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I took this photo with my 5 year old Sony camera. It does a better job than the IPhone at night. This is MP431 while standing at Amtrak looking east. A crew change had just taken place and has departed the station.

https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipM ... rn_vR3z_GQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1425222  by sd80mac

Matt Langworthy wrote:
charlie6017 wrote:
Matt Langworthy wrote:

Oh no! I'm sorry! :(
yeah signal lights were my best friend... until I learned about ATCS and it was my new best friend in ATCS coverage. Obviously not in Rocheste but I wish. They were great until CSX killed both of them... Signals light do still help me in couple area where I can look straight in distance, such as buffalo rd in Bergen. Wayneport, I had to walk toward to signals to look directly into signal lights. then, thanks to stupid death vadar, I had to walk further back out to able to look into signal lights on other side of track since I don't want to walk across the track. But I cant complain since I can check all signals for both blocks at wayneport. win some.. lose some... About CP signals, I rather to see CP signals lights go off after trains leave the block. so whenever lights comes on, I know that train's coming...
 #1425332  by videobruce

Big signal replacement at 433 Sunday 3/26. new bridge has been put in place, signals turn to face traffic. EE of CP 433! FIVE tracks!
The bridge must be 10' higher than the NYC bridge.
 #1425429  by SST

Big beefy cranes are parked at both forks fire station (433) or across the track from Amtrak depew (431). I sat at old. Broadway and the signals were on more than I've ever seen before. I busy night. It was like watching the peak of a fireworks show.
 #1425481  by SST

I arrived pretty late. 95% of all the work has been completed. Missed a lot of action. I went to old broadway and I'm happy that all signals from Harlem road to Amtrak are visible (with binoculars). So now I just have to learn what's being displayed.
 #1425496  by videobruce

Physical placement may be done, testing has not. Manual operation from 423 west.
 #1426022  by smph50

Going, going gone!

Sunday March 26th marked the end here in Western New York for the iconic signals along Walden Avenue and on Broadway. The CSX crews were out in force at 0430 hours starting at the bridge at MP429.8 (42°54'42.2"N 78°41'21.0"W) up to the cantilever bridge MP434.2. (42°54'05.5"N 78°46'37.7"W) What started as a grubby drizzle at 9:00 am turned into heavy overcast by the afternoon.

By the time I got to CP429 at Transit and Walden, the bridge was already down to the last 12 feet of legs by the subcontracted crew of Clark Rigging out of Lockport, New York. Some of the bridges required only a 150 ton "TEREX" crane due to the distance of the swing but they also had two 350 ton units on site for the more difficult sites.

MP431 where the "A" Industrial Runner at CP431 cuts in, was down to just the bridge at 0915 hrs.

No one from Clark was working on CP431.2 at the end of the Amtrak Platform but there were a pack of railfans waiting with their cameras.

Crews were getting ready at MP432.8 on Ellicott Street but most of the activity was at MP433.1 by the firehall. This bridge was being cut up on Broadway which necessitated squeezing four lane down to two. I did not want to get in the way of that mess.

My main goal this day was to document the removal of the rare Cantilever Bridge at MP434.2 - CP434. (42°54'05.5"N 78°46'37.7"W)

CSX had graciously donated the bridge with the signals to the Western New York Railway Historical Society. Clark Rigging agreed to dismantle the signal with minimal cutting and load it onto our contracted trucks for transport to the Heritage Discovery Center on Lee Street. Unfortunately, what was a projected removal by late morning turned into a 12 hour day with all of the other signals previously started. At 1500 hrs one of the huge 350 TEREX Cranes lumbered down the service road on the north side of the Eastbound running track. At 1500 hrs, the crane was fully assembled and ready to begin the process.

By 1600 hrs the rigging crew was hard at work securing the cables and chains. A huge THANK YOU goes out to Joe Kocsis for allowing me to use his photo's after I had to leave. He did not get home until after 10:00pm. Thank you Joe!

At 1730 hrs, this last westbound CSX freight became the last train to go under the bridge.

As soon as the fright cleared the bridge, the Clark torch crew began to cut the six 2" base mounting bolts.

Ever so slowly the bridge was lifted and swung over 7 tracks to the north side of the eastbound running track. This is the view from the north side of Broadway just as a westbound Amtrak train went by.

An extra set of rigging cables allowed the crane operator to tip the signal for further disassembly.

As soon as the bridge was on the ground, the Clark torch crew went to work cutting all the rivets that attached the base to the bridge.

When the bridge was separated from the base it was loaded onto one of two flatbed trucks operated by Scott Symans Trucking out of Dunkirk. (Scott owns and operates the Viscose #6 0-4-0 steam locomotive) Because the signal masts were too tall, both had to be cut loose from the bridge to lay flat. Here the second mast is being freed from the mounting base.

While the signal masts were being removed, the base was being loaded onto Scott's second low boy truck that he uses to haul the Steam Engine.

It was just after 9:30pm when both pieces were both safely unloaded at the Heritage Discovery Center using our Grove Deck Crane and forklift.

We are now looking for donations to help defray the trucking costs, restore the signal and display it at the museum. This will require that a substantial concrete base be made to support the signal and we are looking to raise approximately $3,500 for the concrete work and to reattach the two pieces of the signal. Most of the work will be done by our volunteers, but we will need help funding for the concrete and structural repairs.

If you want to help out with the project, please send your check payable to WNYRHS 100 Lee Street, Buffalo, NY 14210. Or go to our web site at http://www.trainweb.org/wnyrhs/index#paypal2017 and click on the PayPal Donate button to make a safe and secure donation through Paypal. Just indicate that your donation is for the "Signal Project". Every dollar donated will go directly to getting this "gateway" back up and illuminated again. THANK YOU!

Sincerely, Scott H.
 #1434232  by tk48states

When I was a kid in the late 50's and early 60's the West Shore bypass was indeed very busy. This I know because my Dad belonged to Locust Hill Country Club in Pittsford where I played often and the course was right next to the tracks. Long freights usually powered by Alco RS3's and FA's used to roll by pretty fast, these were through NYC freights and not locals. Never did I see a passenger or mail train on this line. Today I went out to see the line again on a visit back to Rochester and a CSX intermodal rolled by just like in the old days. Just for fun I went out to Fairport to find the switch from the mainline onto the West Shore, it wasn't easy, it's east of town by a baseball field, new electric switch, no westbound crossover nearby, can only access from south main track.
 #1434280  by sd80mac

tk48states wrote:When I was a kid in the late 50's and early 60's the West Shore bypass was indeed very busy. This I know because my Dad belonged to Locust Hill Country Club in Pittsford where I played often and the course was right next to the tracks. Long freights usually powered by Alco RS3's and FA's used to roll by pretty fast, these were through NYC freights and not locals. Never did I see a passenger or mail train on this line. Today I went out to see the line again on a visit back to Rochester and a CSX intermodal rolled by just like in the old days. Just for fun I went out to Fairport to find the switch from the mainline onto the West Shore, it wasn't easy, it's east of town by a baseball field, new electric switch, no westbound crossover nearby, can only access from south main track.

No westbound crossover??? clarify pls. There are crossover about 1/10 miles of Westshore connection switch, and in front of baseball field.
 #1434489  by JoeS

I don't recall this being discussed, but - what are the names of the new interlockings on either side of the new Amtrak station in Rochester?